Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Self-adhesive picture hangers

Post by Rainbow »

I had a customer the other day who was planning to hang a small framed photograph using some of the self-adhesive hangers that you see advertised on television. I've got no grounds for saying not to trust self-adhesive hangers when the manufacturer says they're absolutely safe, but I wouldn't use them myself. So I didn't say anything, but on the other hand, if it ends up falling off the wall, I don't want her to come back and complain that I didn't say something. Would you say anything?

Incidentally the job didn't go ahead straight away as the photograph turned out to be stuck to the glass, so she's going to see if she can get another print.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Self-adhesive picture hangers

Post by StevenG »

Yes, they're shite. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I have a customer who uses them, not had one come back yet :sweating: , but I always add a note to the invoice/work order that the customer asked for no hangers to be fitted
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Trouble with these things is that people think that they're sticking to the wall, when in fact they're just sticking to the painted surface or the wallpaper. You've only got to look at the way a blu tacked poster sometimes pulls a section of paint away from the wall to realise that this is a bad idea. Haven't had this yet but will be ready with a suitably worded disclaimer.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Good idea to add a note to the invoice, thanks.
NessFramers
Organisation: NessFramers
Interests: Football, walking, sermons

Post by NessFramers »

Customer recently required 4 small prints to be reframed (400 x 200mm) but not to put any hangers on the back “As I will just use the sticky things” I recommended that they might not be the best idea due to falling off wall as I have seen it happen. “I have used them for YEARS” she stated.

Anyway, it was a busy spell while putting all jobs together and I forgot her request (on autopilot) and attached rings and on her return to collect she politely reminded me “Can you take them off the back as I’m going to use the sticky things”

Customer is always right 😊 :rock: