Covid safe handling proceedures.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Covid safe handling proceedures.

Post by Not your average framer »

How do we ensure covid virus safe handling of customer's artworks when handling the customers artwork and / or packaging for that artwok and what about safe handling of deliveries from our suppliers. Even the packaging materials that picture frame mouldings arrive in my have been handled by someone who has been infected. Even carrying the used packaging out to the dumpster may be a concern. And what about handling the artwork while framing it. It makes you think doesn't it!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Covid safe handling proceedures.

I'm seriously considering not bringing suppliers deliveries into my shop at all before unpacking them. There is a bench bench heigh long oncrete plinth close to the back of my shop in the garden. I could unpack deliveries on there and put the packaging materials straight into the dumpster, without the packaging materials needing to come into the shop at all and then just wash my hands as I go back into the shop.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

For your deliveries, then this from WHO (World Health Organisation ) might help

How long does the virus survive on surfaces?
The most important thing to know about coronavirus on surfaces is that they can easily be cleaned with common household disinfectants that will kill the virus. Studies have shown that the COVID-19 virus can survive for up to 72 hours on plastic and stainless steel, less than 4 hours on copper and less than 24 hours on cardboard.

As, always clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose

So you could spray the moulding parcel with disinfectant, and leave for 24 hours before opening.

Artwork, well most will be on paper, so you could leave in a well ventilated area ( not in any packaging ) for at least 24 hours, then you should be able to store your normal way, I think the main problem area will be when with the customer , when discussing how to frame the work.

I have been thinking about our (mine ) procedures for when the government allow us to reopen in a restricted manner, because we will still have restict our contact with one another, just as it is now with shops, queuing, one way systems, social contact, etc, some of the thoughts I have had are
Appointment only, for both bringing in work and collecting
Putting all our protection policy on our website and social media, so customers are aware
Putting up plastic, screen at counter
Have already (before lockdown) covered counter with plastic , for easy cleaning/ replacement
Wearing gloves
Customers not allowed to handle moulding & mount samples
Once customer has left , cleaning counter, door handles etc
For customers collecting, by prior appointment, get completed work ready on customer's side of counter, just handy wrapped, so they can see it, credit card terminal ready on customers side of counter, for easy/safe payment ( possible payment in full when placing order)
Possibly getting customers emailing photos of the artwork / photo, along with what they want, then using Preview/ visulation software to email customers with examples for the to choose, then they can drop work , very short visit
Trying to get customers to use what mouldings I have in stock first ( partly due to the fact I'm relocating in a few months, so trying to move dead stock :sweating: :oops: :giggle: )
Still open to other ideas, still thinking. ...... :thinking:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Thanks Steve,

I'm still thinking too, but thanks for a lot of ideas to think about. BTW, what do you think about wiping down newly delivered mouldings with something, before putting away moulding deliveries? I have a limit quantity of alkahol wipes. My local hardware shop is out of wood and perhaps acrylic sheeting too, so the perspex screen may have to wait until they can get new supplies. There's quite a lot I was hoping to do, but getting the materials, is a bit of a problem right now.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

One of the things that will help customer assurance is when the contents of packages etc. (including paper work such as invoices) are marked as Covid 19 free. At the moment, in our household, every time a package is delivered the bell or door knocker, letter box, the outside packaging and all the contents (including invoices) are disinfected and dryed plus the door mats are sprayed. Takes quite some time. Knowing that the package contents are Covid-19 free would save some effort.
Not your average framer

I'm not sure that it is going to be very likely that supplies will be guaranteed supplied as covid virus free. How will our suppliers be able to do this? It's all very hard to understand. Are we going to be cleaning everything before we can use it?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Could just take a photo of the invoice, then burn the original along with the packaging, bish bosh
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Anyone who uses quickbooks can use mobile app to add invoice to accounts and attach photo of invoice to record.

That is how i do my accounts with photos attached to all account entries. Simple to use and complies with digital VAT, making VAT returns easy.

I pay £24 per month for it.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.