Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Orde02
Organisation: Northwood Framing
Interests: Painting, flying, cycling

Tiny workspaces

Post by Orde02 »

Hello. Does anyone have a small workspace? I mean really small! What's the smallest space anyone here works in and does anyone have photos or tips for maximizing what space they do have?

Regards

Matt
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Tiny workspaces

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm based in a tiny shop and it can be quite challenging to get everything in to the space available, so that you don't spend all your time moving things about to have enough space when using different bits of equipment. Making good use of wall surfaces, where possible can be a useful approach in some cases, but not everything works best when mounted onto a wall, mostly because backache can become an issue with certain items.

I tend to get backache, when using my wall mounted glass and board cutter for long periods, but for speed and convienence, wall mounted cutters make life a lot more easy than cutting everything flat on a bench. Particularly as stretching over a bench to cut larger pieces of materials can be rather difficult at times and can still produce backache as well.

Try to think about how the work can flow around the workshop! Spending to much time walking from one part of the workshop, during you day can really use up a lot of your time. I find that a conveniently placed chair, is a particularly helpful thing as I get a lot of backache and it helps me to take a rest every now and then.

I also get a lot of neck ache, which tends to build up to the point where it starts to cause a feeling of pressure in the ears and I have no alternative, but to stop, sit down and take a rest. Try not to push yourself too much, you are not a machine and as you get older, your joints will be affected. I am a great believer in cups of tea, or coffee and being able to sit down, during the working day to help relax that aching back and neck. Don't stand up to grab a quick cuppa, sit down, relax and feel that muscule tension go away.

The way you layout your workshop, has a lot to do with how quickly, you will start to feel tired and as you get older, you will notice it more. There is very little workbench work that I can do at all, when sitting down. I am on my feet for most of my time working in the workshop and that's just how it is and needs to be, but I need to get the work done.

Well timed tea and coffee breaks are the big secret for me and one of these kitchen timers, that pings to remind me that tea and coffee breaks are for a limited time and by being disaplined any sensible about tea and coffee breaks, you can fit a resonable number of breaks into your working time, when it's not one of your best days.

A kitchen timer is also useful for setting the time for your next tea, or coffee break. Rush jobs need those breaks to keep you functioning properly and anyway, I did not become self imployed to work myself into the ground, I've done too much of that already. Your working environment should be all about you and creativity is greatly helped by the right working environment.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Used to have small space. Key for me was to have things on mobile bases. Even bench can be on castors.

I had my morso on wheels so i could pull out (only needed to be tiny bit) for 3m lengths of moulding which then passed through a door. But after, it was pushed into a space out if way.

The underpinner was on castors so when joining a big frame, i could move it and swivel as well to make enough room. Swivelling it means you can you can support the frame on the bench as you pin it. My underpinner is the same height as the bench obviously.

I also had thw bench on wheels so i could move it out of the way when needed, or pull it from the wall when dealing with large frames.

As NYAF said, using wall space for storage etc is good and also making maximum use of storage under bench.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Nick is a big guy (I've met him), which doesn't help with small work areas :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi,

Not much to add to the other suggestions. I myself have a small studio and having everything on wheels has been a blessing.

I also have a fold down shelf/bench as an ‘overflow’ area when I am working on multiple frames that can then drop down when not in use.

I designed my studio to have one long (600mm x 1800mm) fixed bench that has a channel so that the morso fit under it. I then would slide the morso out for longer lengths (the morso was sat on a piece of carpet reversed and slid along the floor) and one main bench (1000mm x 1500mm) that has sheet material storage under it also on wheels. In addition I built a ledge that supports the mount cutter to the side of this bench and stored when not in use.

I have a question for Nick, you mentioned you had your morso on wheels. I am looking at doing this as to be honest the carpet was a temporary solution. Can you share details of how you did this. I am limited to how much height I can add to the morso...?

Best of luck Matt hope it works out for you.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I have my morso on one of these.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminste ... gI0-vD_BwE

Doesn't add much height to machine.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

That's perfect! Thanks Nick
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

My workshop is 5m x 3m and I moved there from a massive old garage.

There isn't a lot of room but the only thing that really bothers me is that I have to cut the glass on the floor.

My morso is along one length and the lengths of moulding are stored above it.

My bench is at the other side in front of the windows so I stand with my back to the morso.

The mountcutter is on the left hand side of the bench and the cutter is at the right.

Then there is the floorspace in the middle, then my underpinner is in the corner.

On the wall to the side of the bench I have all my moulding samples.

Under the bench store my mountboard and I have a jetmounter.
dmcgreen
Organisation: Your Frame Here
Interests: Music, Tech, Golf, Nostalgia

Post by dmcgreen »

I'm in the process of 'installing' my workspace which was a single-width garage built in the late 60s so not the widest with what the cars were sized back then.

It measures approx 230x480cm.

I have pages and pages of notebook scribbles designing the optimum layout bearing in mind a large enough workbench. As has been mentioned I think castors are the way to go however so far only my chair and workbench have them. I've built the underpinner into one of the workbench corners to save space too.