Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
johnnyraw74
Organisation: In the Frame
Interests: walking,painting ,biking ,ancient history

fully recycled coloured mountcard??

Post by johnnyraw74 »

HI How is everybody doing , I am trying to source for a customer fully recycled Coloured Mountcard ..is it available???
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: fully recycled coloured mountcard??

Post by JFeig »

The customer demand that mound board be visually consistent leaves recycled board not a viable product for manufactures to produce.
Therefore the answer to your question is no.

Crescent Cardboard Co. in the US does manufacturer a 100% mounting board from recycled materials (wood pulp) in a white surface only. It is not an archival product as far as I know.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Dont customers ask for some bizarre things! :head:

I wish the paper industry would get a very simple message across to Joe Public
Trees are like apples, potatoes etc. They grow in the ground, they are used , and then more are planted
OK I agree trees take a lot longer to grow, but they are still a crop, for one tree cut down 2 are planted, at least in Scandinavia and North America
i agree 100% with recycling, but the products that can be made are somewhat limited
I guess the biggest item made will be grey board. Cheap nasty stuff, full of all sorts of impurities but perfect for many low end uses

But definitely not as a mount board in picture framing

Suggest you let your customer see this and if he/she still insists on recycled offer them a sheet of grey board, and ask will this be OK :giggle:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Give them some grey board, cut it to size and paint it both sides and on the bevel as well. Well, it's got a recycled core, but who knows what is in the paint? Pete Bingham used to cut double mounts out of grey board, glue them into frames, hand finish them and the frame to make really impressive looking spadrell frames.

I've still got one that he did when I spent a week up at his workshop being trained. The frame still looks good after 20 years from when it was made! Now there was a man who knew how to make ought from nought. Old Yorkshire saying from a Yorkshiire framer and former Master of the guild. He was a bit of an entertainer at times too!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer