I'm going to be framing some large exotic feathers.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I'm going to be framing some large exotic feathers.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm going to be framing some large exotic featers iin box frames and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the best way to do this. I'm thinking of pressing the stalks of these feathers into the edge of a piece of corrigated backing board and securing this piece of backing board in a hidden position behing the doulde mount at the front of the box frame. The box frame will be quite a shallow box frame and almost certainlly made from Oak.

I've never framed anything quite like this before so it's a bit difficult to know if there is a preferred way to do this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: I'm going to be framing some large exotic feathers.

Post by Justintime »

Wondering, if the quills are long enough, before the feathers start, could you use fishing line in two places along the quill, through the back of the mount board or mylar?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Justin.

The idea of using Mylar sounds interesting! If the Mylar was punched with two holes for each quill and the quill was feed through from one side to the other side and then back through to the original side it wood cause the Mylar to bend. If the Mylar was the secured onto a flat surface, the the Mylar would be pressing against the quill and adding a bit of grip to the quill. It sounds interesting, but I'm still thinking about it. The golden rule always used to be to mount organic things, using organic materials as long as both types of organic material are compatible. I've only just thought about this, but supposing that I drilled a hole into a cork and slit the cork a little so that it would give a little as the cork has the quill pushed into the hole. Unfortunately, I don't know how long the cork would last under tension. I'm still thinking in an area of guesswork, so quite happy yet.

I am sort of thinking about using rare earth magnets to lock each quill into a saw cut in a piece of wood and using the attraction of magnets to each other to provide the force how to clamp the quill it place. The idea would be to press the quill against a long thin piece of fine abrasive paper to stop the quill from moving, but without enough force to damage the quill. Parting the magnets, would allow removal of the quill. Sealing the surface of the wood could make sure that any acid content in the wood cannot come in contact with the quill. I can't think of anything wrong with that at the moment. It sounds o.k., but is it? I'm still thinking about it and I'm not completely sure yet.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Apparently, the best way to do this is to poke the quills into the end of thin strips of Correx. The thin strips allow enough flexiblity to flex instead of forcing the quills to flex and be damaged. Choosing the right size of Correx will allow the side walls of the square flutes to flex outwards a little to accommodate the insertion of the quill, but the side walls will press against the quill to retain it. Easy when the how and why is explained.

Securing the other end of the Correx is done by screwing into the other end of a flute in the Correx, with a self tapping screw. So obvious, why did I think of that?

:Slap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer