Earthborn clay paints

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Earthborn clay paints

Post by Not your average framer »

I have recently started using Earthborn clay paint match pots. I would not say that it was a particular special decission, has come about during the Covid situation for reasons of convenience only. The home interiors shop across the road from my own shop, just happens to sell these paints and I'm not getting out and about much, so this is where I go for match pot paints right now, but Craig and Rose chalky emulsion paints are still a bit of a firm favorite nonetheless.

I thought that I would just make a few comments based on my observations while using these paints. They dry quite quickly, but don't dry quite as smoothly as the Craig and Rose. I don't know if you are supposed to use a primer first, as I have no instructions about it and just continue to use them without a primer, because this is what I normally do anyway, but after drying there is a slightly rough texture to the paint.

This does not worry me all that much, as I can easily apply wax, or varnish over the paint and lose that slightly rough feel. Getting away with just one coat of paint, does not always seem to work, with this paint and most of the time a second coat becomes necessary. Having said all that, it does the job and looks o.k., so it does what I want for the time being.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Earthborn clay paints

Post by JFeig »

Mark,
Just an inquiry, is this paint water soluble after application? The main binder is methyl-cellulose. I had never heard of such a paint.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Jeome,

I was wondering about this myself. It is my impression that it is water soluble after it has dried, but I have attempted to prove this. If it is water soluble after it's has dried, I don't understand why the manufacturer would do this, but I think this looks like this could be the case!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

This paint is only marginally water proof and even then it is not very waterproof when I first dries, but the manufacturers don't tell you this. I am very disappointed to discover this. Apparently it is an eco friendly paint, but for me what is the point of making a paint which is not going to be fully waterproof, when it dries. For what I what it for, it is useless!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abi
Organisation: AbCoStudio
Interests: Folk music

Post by Abi »

It's great for maintaining breathability on lime plastered walls. That's what it's best known for and one of its main target audiences. If you've got an old cottage and need a water vapour permeable paint its perfect.
Not your average framer

I sppose that I'll have to mix a bit of acrylic paint with it to make it dry waterproof, just to use up the match pot I have got left. I'm a bit disappointed after have made and painted a couple of frames. I guess that I am going to need to sand the paint down and start again. Most annoying!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

You could also add some casein powder to the paint. Once casein paint dries it does not wash away easily.

This is what I used to use,
https://www.rosebrand.com/shop/product. ... 449&tid=11
https://shop.centraltheatresupplies.co. ... s-14-c.asp (UK source)
Note that there are 2 versions, one with and one without an acrylic base.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer

Thanks Jerome,

I have some of both the casin powder and the acrylic paint as well. I don't know where my casin powder is right now, but I know where the acrylic paint is, so that will be what I am going to use.

Thanks very much.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Try making your own casein paint. Water, milk powder and pigment.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk