PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

De-roller experiences

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi,

I can see that StevenG posted recently regarding these rollers looking to purchase one, I'm keen to get peoples experiences using these.

I use a series of weights with artwork sandwich between mount card to remove/reduce the curling of rolled artwork. This is becoming tricky to manage as the process takes a while and take up valuable space. I am still thinking about purchasing a Hot Press (waiting for business to pick up again after lockdown) but looking for alternatives...

How have people found handling the artwork and device? I always fear removing tightly rolled art from the tube and opening it without it springing back and causing a crease...

Thanks in advance.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: De-roller experiences

Post by Rainbow »

If you look back at the thread, you'll see that a couple of posters recommended much cheaper options, like a roller blind or a postal tube which work just as well (albeit some protection would be good, such as tissue paper, kraft paper or polythene). I also think that that de-roller has a very small diameter (only 38mm) - if I have to de-roll, I prefer to use a postal tube with a larger diameter. The videos I posted on the other thread (Bubbling) show how to handle the artwork.
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thank you Rainbow, sorry I missed you post. Really helpful to see how to handle the artwork before you start the roll, that was my concern.

Thank you for your input.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have never used one of these roller divices, but I have used a cardboard tube, which works just fine. Larger diameter cardboard tubes work best and artworks flatten out quite well with the larger tubes. Some customers manage to get the cardboard tubes dented with their posters, or artworks still in the tube. Not a lot of fun trying to get it to look perfect some times.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Sorry, somehow missed those videos. While the technique might be fine for posters, please don't ever handle matt pigment inkjet prints like that, unless I've printed them, and you want to buy a reprint. Fingers dragged over large dark areas of matt rag paper = scuff marks.

Acutally, I'll extend that to baryta prints, gloss prints and lustre prints. I'll chuck in glossy C-types, lustre c-types and matt c-types. No sane person puts old school photographic prints in a tight tube, but I'll even say bromide prints and most RC photographic prints.

Offset prints, latex, UV, are more likely to survive that sort of treatment, but don't tend to be used much in the art market.

I regularly recurl baryta papers using either a roll of brown paper (still on the roll, it has weight), a roll of tissue paper (because its 50" wide, and lets me decurl 44" prints) or when I'm organised, 300gsm polyester roll, because it's smooth. Depends on the image, the paper, the inkload and the timescale. I have the option of reprinting.

When it's a client supplied print (seldom accept these), then out of the tube, onto the tissue covered bench. weights all allong the leading (trailing?) edge (print face down), assuming the print is rolled image outer. Then unroll along bench, applying weights as I go, until the whole length is flat on bench. Strategically replace smaller weights with larger soft flat weights. Resign myself to not having use of that bench until the morning.
This prevents dragging the print surface across the bench, or my fingers across the print.

I don't have a problem with the diameter of the derollers, and if I didn't have better things to do with the money, would happily buy in several sizes. But I have options to hand that allow me to not buy them. If I were only handling work rolled and stored by others, I'd be more likely to buy one.
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks Mark, Richard for the input.

Great tips / warnings Richard regarding the papers. I am a photographer (now on the side) and had a mishap handling a Hahnemühle Photorag print, thankfully one of my own. This is, however, exactly why I am wary of trying to relax / uncurl rolled art work. I seem to get a fair few items where the client has had the work delivered (a3, a2 sizes normally) in tight rolled tubes :sweating:

I am going to try you tip regarding the polystyrene roll!

Do you roll the tissue paper in with the print as per Rainbows posted clips?

Thanks again all.
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

If there is tissue in the roll, then I'll leave it there when first detubing the print, to reduce the chance of scuffing. I always advise clients that if they want me to send prints to framers, that we leave a handling border in place. When decurling prints, if the surface is fragile, I'll tend to start with a large roll of tissue as the decurling roll.

I regularly decline the opportunity to mount or even handle dark, matt full bleed prints, and strongly advise against ordering full bleed rag prints.