PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
connor maguire
Organisation: www.connormaguire.com
Interests: Painting,drawing,framing,kitesurfing

Window mount pricing/BBest supplier update

Post by connor maguire »

Hi there
I have been asked countless times to cut extra windows in mountboard. Currently cutting 8 windows into a full sized mount board. Any advice on pricing say per each window cut. One mistake and its all over, so not a fan of the multiple window mounting.

I have the bbest basic framing calculator. Is there an option that you can input into that. Have updated it also but still cant get the updated prices for suppliers. My main supplier is Abbey Glass ,Co.Antrim N.Ireland

Many thanks
Connor Maguire
www.connormaguire.com
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Window mount pricing/BBest supplier update

Post by Justintime »

Hi Connor,
Assuming that you have an hourly rate for such work, or that your calculator has a preset rate, it's just a case of adding on your time in minutes that it takes you to mark out and cut more windows. Your markup on the mountboard should cover the odd accident, or you could increase your markup on mountboard for multi windows?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Before I started to use Computer Mountcutter, we used to charge £1.50 per extra window, didn't aim too high, otherwise we would price ourselves out of the market, with normal mark up on mounts, you should cover your cost of the mount if you cock it up, but the extra is for marking out, 8 windows, should take you no more than 1/2 hour to mark out and cut :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
connor maguire

Post by connor maguire »

Hi Justintime, Steve N
Appreciate the comments. Thought I would ask as it was so many cuts in one mount and looks like my skills will be properly tested this time lol. Anyway thanks for getting back to me so cheers dudes:)
Connor
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I also charge £1.50 per extra window, I also mark out the back of the mountboard to help me avoid mistakes, when cutting multiple windows. The £1.50 has never been increased at all over the last 16 years. During this time, the prices I pay for mountboard have decreased as I now buy in discount quatities. All I still how quatities of mountboard left for a huge amount that I board cheap from a very big shop that was closing down. Needing to buy any mountboard at all, hardly ever happens these days.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
connor maguire

Post by connor maguire »

Cool beans "Not your average framer". To be honest I've always done the extra window complimentary as in free but for this I'll defo be charging the extra £1.50.

Thanks again:)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Just think what you can charge for framing a full set of 50 cig cards :giggle: :cash:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
connor maguire

Post by connor maguire »

lol Steve N. I'm happy to pass that job on to you:)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Customers don't get upset at the £1.50 and it goes a long way towards covering the cost of any mistakes, when cutting multi window mounts. I've been framing since 1999 and I still need to take precausions to avoid making mistakes on multi window mounts, all it takes is an interuption servind a customwer half way through cutting the mount.

think that there is a limit to what you can charge for fifty windows for cigarette cards and you may have to come down a bit to keep the customers happy.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer