Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Foresty_Forest
Organisation: Forest Arts
Interests: Painting and Art

Does A Mitre Saw Laser Help?

Post by Foresty_Forest »

I need a new mitre saw - does having a laser actually help? Does it enable an accurate cut?

Thanks
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Does A Mitre Saw Laser Help?

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I don’t have one on mine and it cuts beautifully. It’s a Inmes
IM-30. Is this a framing mitre saw you are referring to or a woodworking saw?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

For framing, I can't see the usefulness in having a laser. Or for that matter, any other application. :roll:
All it does is let you visualise where the cut will roughly be.

It smacks a bit of gimmickry to me. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't think that framing saws have lasers. If a saw has measurement stops, why would you need a laser? I have a woodworking sliding mitre saw and a mesuring extension I buoght from Lion. When I get the chance, I will get it accurately put together and set up. The sliding travel of the saw is sufficient to cut 14 inches, which is also very useful for cutting strut backs to custom sizes. Ordinary woodworking mitre saws are something of a problem for the accuracy and repeatably for totally spot on 45 degree cuts, but sometimes there are ways of solving this, but it usually a lot of fiddling around to get the best results.

As for lasers, I have never met a real craftsman who uses them . I always measure and mark the position of the cut and sneak up on the exact accurate psition when I'm using the saw for woodwork and it's perfect every time!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Post by Jag62 »

Pointless as they can't be relied upon and are just another thing to have to keep in alignment (as well as the mitre & compound angles). I have one on mine & just switched it off as I check the blade alignment against my pencil lines rather than the laser.

Neil
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have all the usual digital set up equipment. It's not that expensive anymore, but lets say that you want to correct an angular angle of cut, which has an error of 0.1 degrees, how exactly are you expecting to do that? So much for all that accuracy, when the practically of adjusting to that accuracy is in doubt! Then of course there is the question of the run out accuracy of the bearing which guide the shaft on which the saw blade is mounted. Are actual framing mitre saws that accurate? Well, yes they are, but there's a lot of clever tricks needed to make them so and this has a lot to do with why they cost so much.

Have you got much chance of getting the same accuracy from a woodworking power saw, which costs a fraction of the price? Well, not really! Can we get away with a woodworking grade saw? Well, that a big maybe! If you are hand finishing your frames, it probably yes, otherwise you are back to maybe. Part of the difficulty is that as the frame gets bigger, those realatively insignificant little errors start to become significant. There are those who understand how to get the most out of woodworking grade mitre saws, but this does not necesarily include everyone, so beware if you are trying to wing it!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Not your average framer wrote: Thu 15 Jul, 2021 9:02 am As for lasers, I have never met a real craftsman who uses them
That is a bit of a disappointment then, i use my laser on my mitre saw all the time.

I do have the datum flip stop, but if i have a quick cut to make, i mark it and use the laser. I have a 12 inch hitachi and as well as being able to calibrate it to make the angles pretty accurate, you can adjust the laser position.

I would say it depends what saw you are getting. Framing saws won't have them and the expectation is it will be used with a rail and stop system for accurate repeatable cuts. If you are getting a top end woodworking machine, it will likely have a laser that you will find useful.

For mid range machines, some do have lasers, some won't, but i wouldn't base my choice on a laser, but other factors. I have a dewalt 773 216mm saw as it is easier for transportation. I got this for accuracy and it is nice and compact and didn't worry about it not having a laser.

Some lower end brands have lasers, but i would say these are pointless, but in any case, the cut accuracy on these machines will be poor.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Romanf345
Organisation: Simply Watercolors
Interests: Framing, painting, photography

Post by Romanf345 »

I agree Nick, I build furniture as well as do framing and I use the laser all the time, on all three of my saws. I do not understand why others have an issue with this….if it works for you, then use it, if it does not work for you then do not use it. But making a generalized statement that in essence, no self respecting craftsman would stoop so low as to use a laser, well that is not the real world.

Besides what is a craftsman? Do we think that someone who buys sticks of moulding, then cuts them into angles, makes one a craftsman? I think not.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I think the bone of contention here is the usefulness of a laser when cutting frame rails. I can see it may be of use
when wanting to align the cut to a scribed line on the wood, but when making picture frames this typically would
never happen. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

They are good help to aligh the wood /moulding, but to the quality of the cut???....... well no as the laser does not do the cutting...
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/