PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Tape Dispenser

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

Can I get some recommendations for gummed tape dispensers, the machines that wet the tape and cut to length.

Ive had a quick google and 'Tegrabond BP333 Manual Gummed Tape Dispenser' pops up a few times.

Anyone have experience of these machines and recommendations of a model type?

Thanks
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Tape Dispenser

Post by Not your average framer »

I use the basic version as used to be sold by Lion, not the fancy version with the built in measure and cut system. I have two of them, as it saves moving them about while full of water. Little flies are attracted to these, so that they can drink the water. A small amount of methalated spirit added to the water, makes the flies a bit dozzy and then I spin the sponge roller around and the flies drop to the bottom of the water container later when I add new water I drain the container first and the death flies are gone! These pesky little flies are everywhere at a certain time of the year.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
gavin@seagullgallery
Organisation: Seagull Gallery and Framing
Interests: .

Post by gavin@seagullgallery »

We have a Kite Gummed Tape Dispenser (the green one)

https://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/tap ... ispensers/

It's a great piece of kit, but we no longer use it.

If you're interested or want any more info, just DM me

Gavin
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I've got one of those. Only had it about a month, and wish I had bought one years ago. I didn't pay that much for it though. Found one on ebay, brand new, but opened box, paid £300 inc VAT. Sounds expensive, but saves me a couple of minutes on every frame. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to getting the length right - you can set automatic stop to the number of cm you want, or you can keep pulling to get as much as you want, when you let go of the handle it cuts the tape.

PROS:
Quick, wets the tape very well, doesn't need filling up very often, and once you've mastered the handle, you will get just the right amount of tape. If you are doing multiple frames the same size, you can easily set the dial to get exactly the right amount of tape out every time. I also use this for wrapping parcels to send out. It's built like a tank, I expect it will outlast me.

CONS:
It is quite big, and heavy - so make sure you have room for it, probably not suitable if you need to keep moving it around. It's a significant investment, but if you are doing enough frames it will save you time. It takes a couple of minutes to change the size of tape in the machine if you are swapping from thick to thin.

Hope that helps, oh, and by the way my old Lion type one is now redundant, and available for £35 + postage if anyone wants one.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Apologies for the delayed rely, I was hit with covid lurgy and have been flat out catching up on work after having to take time off.

Many thanks for the information and offers. I am lucky enough to have bought a second hand machine from a retiring framer.

Thanks again all!