Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

AI (Artificial Intelligence) and the Art & Framing Industry

Post by Fruitini »

Over the past month or so we have been dipping our toes into the world of AI and in particular experimenting with OpenAI’s DALL•E 2, which uses AI technology to create images and artwork from a simple text description. You are able to dial in a particular style, subject, influence and concept to create completely unique art that you are free to print & sell. A number of credits are currently free every month. Some of the pieces we’ve generated while testing the software are exceptional. https://openai.com/dall-e-2/

Some will certainly find the ethics behind it questionable and how it might devalue the creative talent of artists and years of mastering a skill, but the future is now and this is free, simple and easy to use!! I thought it might be interesting to kick off a discussion about how this might affect the art landscape in the future, and whether it possible to adopt AI into how we work as framers and art sellers. We have a print lab alongside our framing operation and are already using GigapixelAI to offer upscaled detail and resolution in poor quality and lo-res images - the quality achievable is exceptional. Here’s a photo we were working on today.

5821BE1E-9511-4C45-86B6-4BEC3F0EB818.jpeg
An obvious possibility would be the design process and have AI select suitable mount/frame combinations, if indeed not already available?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: AI (Artificial Intelligence) and the Art & Framing Industry

Post by Justintime »

Someone somewhere was quoted as saying touch screens were just a gimmick and they'd never take off. So I'm going to say that I think it's a niche market. I'm against anything that uses ripped off artists work to build a foundation for a new genre of art. At the end of the day it's very much in the eye of the beholder. I have no doubt that there is a market for it, there is always a market for speculative investment and I'm sure it will eventually be on our tables for framing, like photos on plastic canvas!
On the other hand, what can be done to restore/enhance photos is amazing.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Fruitini

Post by Fruitini »

I think you are right and there most definitely is a market for those not so art savvy that don’t care much about art producers and provenance. Basically what they are looking for is a a subject of choice and in a colour to match the sofa or curtains. Of course these AI’s are trained on existing artworks and will use elements and concepts of these to generate new work which I guess is where the waters begin to get a little murky. I’m sure a point in the not so distant future once a user base is built this will be fully monetised and not such an attractive proposition.

Yes, the restoration/enhancement software is incredible and really pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. The client with the photo above got really quite emotional on collection to be able to see an old familiar face with such clarity. How close that face is to the reality will never be known though as it is only the AI’s best interpretation of what it thinks it should look like. The best test is a lo-res photo of a very familiar face…. your own, and although not perfect is pretty good.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I really want to have an opinion on this, but I got as far as 'OpenAI’s DALL•E 2' and realised I am completely out of my depth!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Fruitini

Post by Fruitini »

Haha. It really isn't that daunting. Click the link and sign up. They only want a username and email address. You are ready to go in seconds. Give it a whirl.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I think the whole AI art thing is just incredible & I can see both sides of the argument. My background was IT/development so I can appreciate the genius of the process - what humans can create these days is virtually magic. I did take a look at DALL-E but the only stumbling block was me!! When I was sat in front of the console where I could create anything I could image - my mind went completely blank.

But speaking of the future being here right now - we had a customer in recently and we just talking about the technology we have now and it's just considered an everyday thing. Things like video calling, instant access to news etc etc. The customer was saying that she remembers watching Star Trek (the original) and her father mocking the sliding doors saying 'how can the door open itself - that's just stupid' :) It sounds funny that he could accept space ships, ray guns, beam me up scotty & aliens that spoke perfect english etc etc without question but a automatic door is just ridiculous :D
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

That restoration is quite astonishing! I haven't looked at DALL-E yet but would be interested in knowing the process involved to produce that restored photo?
I have played around with ChatGPT3 and once I got my head round how it works, have managed to produce biographies for our website far more eloquently than I can write, although it did require quite careful fact checking!
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Fruitini

Post by Fruitini »

Yes ChatGPT does write very well! Would be ideal for blog posts and the like. I guess consistent use might become a bit robotic!!!

GigapixelAI is available here with a free trial https://www.topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai

Here is a good tutorial on how it works.

Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer