Underpinner for a small workshop - any advice?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Alzibiff

Underpinner for a small workshop - any advice?

Post by Alzibiff »

Hello,
I am a "new boy" in the framing business to the extent that at the moment, this is a part time occupation - I am using a top of the range yet still a "hobby type" V-nailer but not totally happy with it.
I have a MORSO - choosing which guillotine was quite an easy task - but not as easy as choosing an underpinner.
I have been looking at the Cassese CS88 but not yet come to any firm decisions. This is a foot operated machine but I am not averse to pneumatic models. New or second hand - I am open to suggestions - and keeping my eye on EBay of course.
Can anyone offer me any opinions on underpinners for a small workshop - avoiding the generic "get the best you can afford". Thanks in advance, Alan
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Alan
We have been using the CS88 for coming on three years now and am really impressed with it. It is a very good and sturdy workhorse.
We too have a small workshop and this fits in very well.
If you have look at the thread

http://estlite.scenes.biz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=244

This is my workshop. You can see the CS88 fitted into a corner on the other side of the Morso. I can quite happily work up to 2m lengths on it.

The only problem that I have had is with the cable snapping. No problem because LIONS sell the spare cable. or as I did got a slightly thicker flexible stainless steel cable and fitted it.

Using both 7mm and 10mm hardwood 'wedges'.

For us a very good purchase
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Underinner

Post by SquareFrames »

Him

We have 2 underpinners in our workshops. But an excellent choice. the CS88. Ours has its own bench for supporting the moulding and we can accomodate any length of moulding that is required. You would not go far wrong with this model.

Another model, the Morso UP-M, better engineered than the CS88, but a wee bit fiddly to work with until you get used to it, but once mastered, a good machine.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Steven (and any other UP-M users) - Any tips, handy hints, rules of thumb, tricks .... for the MORSO UP-M? The manual is rather sparse when it comes to getting the best out of this machine and although simple in principle, there must be some "best practice" when it comes to getting the best out of it in terms of tight joints.

I have just had my MORSO guillotine professionally serviced and set up. With my new underpinner, (well, new to me as a 'previously enjoyed' unit), believe that I should be able to get top class results.

Thank you as ever, Alan
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

...answering my own post, (although I would appreciate as much advice as anyone can throw at me), I spent most of today stripping down the MORSO UP-M and reassembling. I have cleaned it up and removed all of the debris and oily gritty crud which had found its way into all of the crevices over the years. Although I have only given it a brief run out, I can report that the cleaning has made a B-I-G difference to the quality of the joints. Looking forward giving it a good test in the New Year.
Hey Ho and Happy New Year to y'all.
Alan
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

just out of interest, re the morso cutter, did you send it off, or did you get a workshop visit?
im on the edge of buying another, pneumatic or electric, (think I've done my hip in after 15 years of cutting ash on this one lol) and wondering whether to refurbish the old one before selling on.
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Workshop visit - a little too bulky to send off!
The chap I used works on a freelance basis - he imports spares directly from MORSO and has had training in the MORSO factory with their engineers in order to learn the specifics on each MORSO model. He tells me that he has sat on the MORSO stand over the last couple of years at the Birmingham Spring Fair.

As far as selling on - I have been an avid EBay watcher for some time now, always interested to look at what comes and goes on the framing front. MORSO guillotines can be found in various parts of the country most of the time. Condition varies - from the "stored for the last three years in a damp garage" to the "in daily use perfect condition" type descriptions. Some are older than others with the newer ones having such luxuries as safety guards and waste chutes. Some have the left hand support some don't. Some have the rule attached on the RHS, some don't. They go for anything from around £500 and upwards - I wouldn't have thought that going to the trouble of refurbishment/service would be worth it though as you would be unlikely to recover the cost of this work - my view only though and I haven't a clue on the state of repair of your MORSO.
Hope this helps,
Alan
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Thanks Alan, i guess its in good enough shape to sell on as it is. after all its still working properly, just looking a bit leary in red hammerite and with all the replacement parts over the years, various nuts and bolts and knobs- its a 1974 model after all!
We toyed with the idea of one of the pneumatic conversions. I keep my eye on ebay too. but its addicive, isn't it ;)