Quality Moulding suppliers

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
raph.basan
Organisation: GHF
Interests: framing, cooking, brewing beer, psytrance, rock and reggae.

Quality Moulding suppliers

Post by raph.basan »

Morning all,

I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction of a quality supplier of predominantly Ash and Tulip ( I know Tulip is bad, but what can I do? )

R
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Re: Quality Moulding suppliers

Post by iantheframer »

Norfolk mouldings are very good for all plain woods

call 01328 700200 for a catalogue
Ian
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

I've used Mainline ash mouldings a few times and its always been high quality - very pale, very straight.

http://www.mainlinemouldings.com/

I buy a large proportion of my moulding from Rose & Hollis, who are in Holloway, so low product miles for you. Their ash is a little more variable - often a little discoloured but fine for dark stains. Their tulip can be a bit grotty, as can tulip everywhere, but some batches are good solid straight timber.

they are not webbed up yet, but call them on 02072725551

If you a really after the highest quality there no substitute for selecting your own timber and getting it machined to your own spec, but this is time-consuming and costly :cry:

I use lots of tulip as i don't use obeche(i try to avoid tropical timber). Quality of supply is an endlessly irritating issue :roll:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

D&J Simons do a lot of ash and some tulip. Haven't compared prices with any of the above, but I'd bet Simons wood be cheaper. :D
gesso
Organisation: The Gilders Studio
Interests: see above

Post by gesso »

buy cheap pay twice ! one of the best IS Rose & Hollis, quality & service. Something you def dont get from!!!!!

RHF YOU SORTED OUT YOUR CRACKING PROBLEMS YET?
Mark Fisher
www.thegildersstudio.co.uk (Now Closed)
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, this is Ash 11 from Simons, a 2" profile costing 67p per foot or 54p per foot if you buy 100 ft, which I do.

One frame from one length and I've got that £54 back twice over - easily.

No idea how R&H compare on price but I'm sure they'd match the quality, which is 'high' I do know how a few others compare though (they don't)

Also have not had any quality or service issues from Simons for a long long time, and I'd not put up with 'buy cheap pay twice' for 14 years either!

'Buy the same for less; make more profit' sounds good to me.
gesso

Post by gesso »

In the end it comes down to the marmite syndrome
used them in the early days, bad service wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. my loss maybe
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

They're a different animal now, we all are!
gesso

Post by gesso »

Yeah it was a long long long.....
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
gesso

Post by gesso »

raph what profiles are you lookin for ?
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
gesso

Post by gesso »

Rose and Hollis
G8 Belgravia works
159/163 Marlborough Road
London N19 4NF
020 7272 5551 no website! call karen ,bernie or adrien
they are agents for Arqadia and Nielsen too
Attachments
Plain_woods_.jpg
Plain_woods_.jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I went round the Midas Mouldings factory in Norfolk today (Wessex Glass & Mirror Group). At the end of the tour we were in the dispatch bay and I was having a nosey at the address labels on the stuff waiting for the carrier to collect.

Quite surpised at the names on some of them including R & H so cannot agree with the lack of product miles that was mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.

"I buy a large proportion of my moulding from Rose & Hollis, who are in Holloway, so low product miles for you."

Sorry forgot to do the quote bit at the start.

Because the supplier and user are in the same city does not mean the distance travelled is always significantly less.

Have to say I was impressed with the operation which includes inspection (by a real person) of every length of moulding not just sampling from a batch.

John.
framejunkie

Post by framejunkie »

That's a very good point Jonny. I was aware that they bought this stuff in, but it's not occurred to me to ask where they get it.

I'm more of an eco-worrier than eco-warrior
gesso

Post by gesso »

Jonny2morsos wrote:

Quite surpised at the names on some of them including R & H so cannot agree with the lack of product miles that was mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.

"I buy a large proportion of my moulding from Rose & Hollis, who are in Holloway, so low product miles for you."

Because the supplier and user are in the same city does not mean the distance travelled is always significantly less.
Last time I looked there wasnt much sustainable forestry in Finsbury Park .
Mark Fisher
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
framejunkie

Post by framejunkie »

gesso wrote:Last time I looked there wasnt much sustainable forestry in Finsbury Park .
It a shame nobody wants frames made from Plane tree timber, but there's a couple of cherry trees I've got my eye on.

I'm thinking of planting American black walnut saplings in my window boxes
raph.basan

Post by raph.basan »

Morning All,

Sorry about the quiet on the western front, i had leave. you know, beer festivals to be visited, beer to be consumed... ;-)

Back to the issues at hand. this is all part of a larger issue... As i've said before we are having a problem with our tulip, although after reading and chatting to many people about this, it does not seem to me to only my problem.. a lot of our tulip is coming in warped and this is causing endless issues, i have spoken to our supplier regarding this and we seem to be getting in better wood... we'll see, i just got a delivery that needs unpacking as we speak... as regards to the Ash... well. thats a whole other problem, and now the same with our Ramin, same supplier.... no names mentioned....we started with this staining problem in December last year, the wood just won't absorb the stain... i've spoken with our wood and stain suppliers, it seems we might have an answer from our moulding supplier..... our stain supplier has told us that nothing has changed... but a few things had changed at our moulding provider.... so we'll check this out in the next few days and see how its all going. The profiles we use the most are box frames.....

Gesso, as far as the crackling is concerned...... we've got a job in now and i intend to use 1 of the methods mentioned in the query.... my boss and i have looked at it and it seems thats the way we'll go with that one... its something i want to play with.. i thin you can get so many different results.. i had picked up some tips which we now use, so yes, thanks for the advise all......

phew. my fingers are now tired from all the typing and i have another 20 frames to get done by tonight...

Happy Monday all !!!

have fun.

R
prospero

Post by prospero »

Raph.... What type of stain are you using? I say this because I very rarely use spirit stain, but recently had a 'match up' job and a stain I had was the perfect colour. I didn't have enough left in the tin, so I got a new one. (Same brand). I found it just didn't work the same as my old stock. On obeche it was terrible. Didn't penetrate how it should and left all the pores showing. Eventually I had to really saturate the wood to get an even stain and then I got dark marks all over. I was hoping these would dissappear when dry, but they didn't. Never had this happen before. :roll: This leads me to believe the the stain formula is not the same as it used to be.

Eventually I mixed up some diluted acrylic paint. A pain getting the right shade but it went on much better than the spirit stain. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
raph.basan

Post by raph.basan »

Hmmmmmm... sounding familiar....

We've never had this problem before, but the symptoms are exactly the same... the stain does not get absorbed and the pores are all highlighted.... same here.

but...... i grabbed some older stock from the moulding we're struggling with, and hey Presto !!! no hassles.
stain got absorbed no worries....

the stain we use is from mylands. and we've never had a problem.... i keep saying that, its like a mantra now... but... we've never had this problem.... the man from mylands, David, swears nothing has changed, and will happily come to us and take the stain and wood to their laboratory... :wink:

i've just got some of the wood in thats been causing us nightmares.... i'm going to check it now....

something has changed.... its not our procedures, its either the wood or the stain, i'm leaning towards the wood.....

r
prospero

Post by prospero »

Double Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... :D

My stain was Colron, so maybe it is the wood. Or maybe something the wood is treated with. :?

But thereagain the older stain is OK.....

Doesn't life get complicated? :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
raph.basan

Post by raph.basan »

:roll:

yep