Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Excalibur 5000

Post by Trinity »

Does your blade holding bit, the lump that you push forward to make the cut down the card, have any sort of spring that pulls it back at the end of its downwards travel. Mine doesn't and as a consequence the blades hits the aluminium rail at the bottom unless I stop short or pull it back with my hand. Can't be right I think. Thanks in anticipation.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Roboframer

Re: Excalibur 5000

Post by Roboframer »

It's a small ramp that should automatically disengage the head.

Click here for the manual - on page 4.2 you can see a close up.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I almost daren't think it might be so simple - if the ramp is a white block of plastic then mine is just out of alignment and needs knocking over about 5mm - just had a look but it's too flipping cold in there to start now. Is this what you mean please?
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It is indeed - a little white peg of plastic, or nylon, like what the bearings are made of.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Roboframer.
absolutely thanks, niggly problem, major feelgood.
Odems
Organisation: Odems Technical Services
Interests: Technical requirements and photography

Post by Odems »

I see this apparatus the first time now. Do some of you really use this for cutting MDF too? What thickness do you cut? I'm very impressed about the guarantee-time.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Odems: Highy recommend this machine - they are Very good, and very well made, needing little maintanence, I have the previous model, called the system 4000, for about twelve or thirteen years. I've cut 2mm aluminium on it as well, 3mm mdf, hard-board, art-bak/corricor, fomecore, plastic, acrylic, glass, mount-board etc. Its also handy for scoring styrene or acrylic sheet, quickly squaring up boards etc.
3mm is about its maximum thickness of cut but we have once cut 4mm plywood in it. A lot of signwriters use them for cutting all sorts of other sheet materials too.

Parts availability is very good indeed, and keencut are good friendly people to deal with. They also offer a cutter refurbishment/exchange service for the twin-wheel board cutter which is a very reasonable charge (i think £20 ex VAT) with 24/48 hour turnaround in the Uk, and probably have a similar arrangement for the Netherlands.

However, were I to get another, It might be a Fletcher, but thats purely for its wall mounting capability, rather than stand-up. Both machines are highly regarded by users, and a lot of us over here use them, in fact I would not like to have to be without one.
Odems
Organisation: Odems Technical Services
Interests: Technical requirements and photography

Post by Odems »

Thank you. Now I can show and mention it to my customers.
Townsend

Post by Townsend »

Kev.......don't get rid of that old System 4000. I did and I'm sorry. It was faster, more accurate and could cut heavier materials than my new 5000. If you have the room, keep your old one until you are certain you no longer need it. I'd love my old one back, and I didn't get very much for it!