Garage Layout

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ImagesLen

Garage Layout

Post by ImagesLen »

There have been a number of posts indicating that a some of you started or are operating from a converted garage. It would be of assistance I'm sure to newbies like myself if you could illustrate ( words or pictured ) on how you layed it out. :?:
My garage is 17ft x 7ft with fold out doors, a typical single car unit. I am having a problem setting it out to be totally inclusive. Also did any one bother to insulate for working during the winter time. :?:

Many thanks in advance
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Len,
The biggest problem I had in my garage was dust.
What equipment are you putting in? If you have a MORSO guillotine or similar, its location will probably define itself - you will need 10 foot at least to the left hand side of this piece of hardware and room to the right to accommodate the scale at least. Underpinner? If so - bench or free standing type - pneumatic or foot driven? If pneumatic, bear in ming the need for a power socket for your compressor. Work bench / assembly bench - big enough to carry an uncut sheet of glass from your supplier - unless you have a wall mounted panel cutter - and if that is the case, this too will make the decision for you on where it needs to be. Mount cutter - what length and don't forget the width needed to take your mount board. In reality, you need to work out for yourself where you will place things - graph paper and cut out scaled down shapes of your hardware is not a bad place to start.
Alan
ImagesLen

Post by ImagesLen »

At present I have a baby Bench Morso ( likely to be replaced with an F manual ), Stand alone foot operated Under pinner and a custom built workbench . This is currently adequate for the business I currently operate with School exhibitions but am looking to move into the bespoke market. I agree the Garage does get dusty quickly and as I dont have a vacant room in the house I was considering purchasing an insulated workshop for the CLEAN compnent assembly. What do you think
norymags
Organisation: Picture This Framers
Interests: Photography and Motor-homing.

Post by norymags »

Len, The problem you have is a desire for someone to come in and design it for you, because that was mine too

If you can accomodate your machinery into an almost clockwise rotation and you are the sole operator then you have done it

The rotation means that if you like me, cut the mount first then the moulding then the glass and mdf then onto the assemble bench for completion, you will soon see where you are needing to install the machines in order of usage.

The desire to get it right is the desire to have them in the right order and your the man to locate them in the right place, sounds easy but in practise a bit more difficult...regards Norrie
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

My garage was (is) 18 x 9 - luxury! and I worked from it for our first shop too, where there was no room for a workshop. We plasterboarded the walls, lino'd the floor, took the end wall out and installed double glazed patio doors, we put a celing in, but only in the centre, so we could access mouldings stored in the rafters, patio doors overlooked our garden and fishpond, quite a pleasant place to work actually, 'til we got busy!

Working from the entrance going clockwise.

Mountboard storage - standing against wall
Plan chest mount cutter atop, containing more mountboard and customer orders.

6 x 3 oak refactory table, my main assembly bench. Glass stored behind it - nightmare! Two drawer units underneath it.

Full size draughtsmans table with adjustable tilt, mainly for glass cutting very very useful for plotting multiple aperture mounts. (no height for a wall mounted cutter). Drawer unit underneath each side, swivel chair between.

Gas heater at far end.
Coming back down the right hand side........

floor to ceiling shelves half way carrying mouldings and some wood staining equipment.

Morso, shelves above

Manual underpinner, shelves above with tools hanging from them.

Backing boards

Mouldings also stored in - spare bedroom, poking up into the loft of our bungalow and filling a garden shed that we had built for the purpose.

Gained planning permission to build a very large workshop in the garden, leaving the garage for moulding storage. We wanted our house back!

Then our present shop came up, this workshop is about 38 x 20'. The workbench is the same size as a snooker table.

kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Nice layout (eyeballs the plan chest with envy) -

In the absence of a pension plan, that looks like my garage hopefully will after I retire ;)

A friend of mine is now into a second full time career as a garage framer with absolutely no intention of opening a shop -probably a wise man- he's doing trade and contract frames and bespoke for a handful of artists and making a living. He cuts mounts in the lounge whilst watching sky sports.... Its not a bad job, is it ;)