Wood Mouldings

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
prospero

Wood Mouldings

Post by prospero »

Anyone know of a source for decorative wood mouldings? That may seem like a daft question, but bear with me..... Over the years of trailing around DIY stores I have always noticed racks of nice embossed/carved wood strips. The sort of thing that is used for dado rails, fancy bits around door and furniture and the like. I often thought some of it would be dead handy on certain framing jobs. One in particular I remember seeing is like a series of shallow pyramid shapes.
I've got a big flashy mirror frame to build and I need a bit of trim such as this. Just been around all the usual suspects in Lincoln, (B&Q, Focus...etc) and there is not a bit to be seen. :shock:
I've searched on the net, but can only hit US suppliers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Dermot

Re: Wood Mouldings

Post by Dermot »

This is who supplies all the DIY stores http://www.richardburbidge.com/mouldings/ they also have a framing moulding range which may not be on their website they do have a distributor for the framing industry but I cannot recall who.

There is for Ireland Wood Mouldings in the next village along from me if you cannot get what you want in the UK I could get you some in Ireland and send it over to you http://www.woodmouldings.ie/contentv3/i ... ageID=6332
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks Dermot. :D

This is the sort of thing that grabbed me. That one is a Polcore moudling from Mainline. (Discontinued :( ) I've other stuff I could use, but one like that would make the job spectacular.

Anyone got anything like it tucked away?
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

What size and how much !!!!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Well the size isn't critical. Or even the shape as long as it has the main pattern on. I would say the little pyramid bits are about 1"sq. Couple of >=8ft lengths would be nice. :D It's to go inside some outrageous moulding that I have been waiting to use ever since I got it by mistake. :wink:
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Peter

Have a look at some of the moulding from Richard Burbridge and see if the have anything that might suit, the moulding company near me want a BIG order for that sort of moulding and none of the local hardware shops have the one you want in stock.

Give RB a quick call and see if you can pick it up locally, I’m also pretty sure they have a distributor in the UK that sells the products that are suitable for picture framer http://www.richardburbidge.com/moulding ... tal/carved

Have a look at CD05 Diamond Detail page 63 http://www.richardburbidge.com/help-adv ... 53119=6558

For some reason I think I recall it is Simons who distribute for the framing industry but I would stand corrected on that, however Simons do have some of the stuff RB do in there price list.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks Dermot. :D

I forgot that Simons do a lot of woodworking stuff.

I have found the one I want on the RB list. Ref CD05 Diamond Dentil. I knew there should be a proper name for it. :wink:
I'll ring around tomorrow and see if I can flush some out.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Richard Burbidge mouldings are still about, try your local Jewson's. They don't carry the whole range, but it's still a decent enough range.

Rose & Hollis carry some of their rope twists too!

I've tried to order direct from Richard Burbidge, but they won't deal direct and just refer me to my local Jewson's, who are not interested in ordering anything which they don't already stock.

Come to think about it, I seem to remember seeing the same pattern on one of the Emafil architectural range. If the moulding is not too big, it might be worth checking it out.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks Guys. :D

I went to Jewsons and they didn't have any but said they would order a min quantity, which wasn't too extreme. But before I commited I had a look at Homebase and they had stacks of it. I was so pleased I bought a new strimmer :D

Problem Solved.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Strimmer???
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This is the worst Youtube vid I've ever seen - it's so bad it's hilarious - anyway - kid gets a strimmer working about 6 mins in.

prospero

Post by prospero »

Not to be confused with...... :?

Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Hahahahaha....you guys talk funny!

Dermot.....yours is a "Whipper Snipper"

Prospero....yours is a "Walking Frame"

Strike me lucky........I just don't know why you guys don't learn a proper bloody language! :wink: