Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Customers ringing for a quote ?

Post by Bagpuss »

I've had a few calls recently from customers asking for a frame price, if they phone me up I tend to say that I can't give a quote over the phone but they are welcome to come and see me at my workshop and I'll be able to give them 10% off as a new customer. Generally if they are asking me to quote a price over the phone they are probably ringing a number of different framers and I don't hear from them again.

I think I might be doing them a disservice by assuming they are "time wasters" :? A lady called me yesterday and said she had a 30" x 22" painting and how much to frame it ? Should I have treated it as a normal sale and ask for all details I could get over the phone and tap them into Estlite while she's on the phone ? I could select an average priced frame for he if she said she wanted a black moulding for example and quote her a "ball park" figure ? Or should I insist she come in for a proper quote straight away ?

I'd be interested to know what everyone else does, I think I might be turning business away :head:

Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Roboframer

Re: Customers ringing for a quote ?

Post by Roboframer »

You have the information they require and not giving it to them is not being very helpful - what's it matter if the object is in front of you or not?

If they don't give you all the info you need all it takes is a few questions like ...

What is it
How big is it (approx size is fine - if it turns out to be bigger/smaller is will cost more/less)
Is it mounted

Then just give a price for 'something nice' and explain there's cheaper and there's dearer.

It all shouldn't take more than a minute or two - they've found your phone number, so your advertising is working - capitalise on that by encouraging them to come to you by being a nice helpful happy framer.
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is always tricky without the item to be framed in front of you. Two things may have exactly the same frame on them, but one you have to charge more for the overall job because of 'complications'. You can't really assess a job without giving it the once-over.

And people tend not to appreciate the subtle difference between buying a frame and having a picture framed. If someone rang and said "How much for a frame 24x20 in suchandsuch a moulding?" - that's exactly what they would be quoted for and exactly what they would get. The cost the frame a 24x20 picture is a different animal entirely. It's like ringing the doctor and saying you have broken you leg and how much to cure it. But I'm sure he could quote you the price of a plaster cast. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I don’t mind giving quotes over the phone. I have a series of print outs that gives a rough idea using our median priced moulding. We keep copies near each of our phones.

The sheets include one for photos/prints with a 2-1/2 inch mat, standard glass, backing, mounting, fitting, etc.; another sheet for oils/acrylics; another one for oils/acrylics with liner; one for posters using a standard metal frame w/o mat ; one for needlework with a mat and glass; and one for needlework without mat nor glass.

I keep another sheet for those inquiries that simply want a mat, or glass, or mounting, or shrink wrapping.

I always preface the quote by saying (as you suggest), “This is a ballpark estimate. You might be able to spend a little less, and you can certainly spend a whole lot more, but, on average, you are likely to spend somewhere around $xxx.” Even if they are ‘sport shopping’, I think most people appreciate the information.

My rationale for a phone quote is that some people who have never had custom framing done honestly have no idea of how expensive a project it can be. If they balk at a price, I would rather them do so during a two minute conversation on the phone than come in, hem and haw for 40 minutes over the choice of six hundred frames and eight hundred mat samples, only to decide it’s more than they want to spend.

Many framers (for the reasons cited) don’t want to commit to a price over the phone. That may be understandable from our perspective, but I feel that the potential customer may be turned off if they think we are trying to be cagey. They might think, “Yeah, this guy wants us into the store so he can pull a ‘bait and switch’ on us.”

As, I said, I don’t mind giving quotes over the phone. I believe that in the long run it is a time saver.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

very sound advice gents, thanks. I will be a bit more prepared next time and a bit more accomodating :clap:

Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
prospero

Post by prospero »

"Blow winds and crack your cheeks!"

That's a quote. King Lear I think..... :lol:

btw. There is a world of difference between a quote and an estimate.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We once gave a phone quote for a 'roughly' 60x80 'poster' - 60x80cm is of course a standard metric size and that's what we assumed

No wonder the guy came in so quick when he heard the price - it was inches he was talking and the glass alone would have cost 3 times what we quoted for the frame!

Wasn't me who answered the phone of course 8)
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

I have found that people who phone for a price are only ever interested in the lowest number that emerges from the telephone and goes into their ears. There are a number of other framing businesses in my area that cater for the 'low number' people.

Because there are a wide variety of mouldings, materials and methods, I don't often give a price, just a range, if anything at all. I always suggest they bring in their piece so we can design something to enhance it and suit their budget. If they aren't prepared to come in, it's obvious they are shopping on price alone and John Ruskin summed that up pretty well!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Maybe if one doesn't like giving quotes over the phone then maybe one's phone No should be left off the advertising - same for email addresses?

Like I said, it's easy and quick to arrive at an overall size - be it rough or exact, and I don't care what it is, a 10x8 photo or a friggin' violin - once you have that overall size you can give a 'from' price or an 'average' price - whatever - you know how you're going to do either job already - why treat a voice any different to a real live person bringing in the item. If it's complex I'll even ring them back once I've done the maths/sourced the materials if necc.

You could end with 'it's probably best to bring it in anyway' or something - but if you start with that and refuse to go further, well you'll never know will you, because they probably won't come in - they'll go to the helpful guy that came to a figure - (who may or may not be cheaper than you) not the snobbish git that insisted on seeing the item. With my customer head on, it's what I'd do for sure and putting myself in the (no-clue-about-framing) customers' shoes is how I decided, years ago, to do my best to give a price and never to allow the enquirers to think they are asking stupid questions - your phone is another means to do business - turning enquirers away is like slamming your door in their face.

To take things to an extreme .....

"RING RING"

"Acme Framing"

"Hello - what are your opening hours"?

"THEY'RE POSTED ON THE FUCKING DOOR - D'YA THINK I DID THAT FOR FUN?!!! COME DOWN AND READ IT FFS!!"
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

One approach I sometimes take is this:

Apologise to the customer and tell them you are currently dealing with someone else (which in most cases you are not) explain their business is important to you, take their name and number and tell them you call them back as soon as you are free in order to give their enquiry your full attention.

At this stage you have a name and their phone number which will tell you;

(a) If it is local number they are ringing you because you are their local framer.

(b) Non local number, they have possibly been elsewhere, ringing around for best price.

(c) Mobile number, always suspicious of these, wonder if they are outside someone elses framing shop.

If you phone them straight back and get the engaged tone you know they are ringing around for best price but by the time you do get through they will have a feel for prices if your competition has given one.

I think it always pays to enquire about the item they want framing and convey enthusiasm for doing a good job. If they want it framing it must have some value to them and showing interest will attract them to you.

In my experience unless customers are having framing carried out regularly what they ask for rarely equates to what they actually want e.g. oak frame ...... do they mean they want oak or do they just want an oak coloured frame. Print size 60cm x 80 cm ......... is the image 60 x 80 or is it 40 x 60 with 10cm blank paper all round.check out the difference that makes to the price.

I prefer not to get drawn into giving a price but if I do it is always a cheapest to dearest comparison which might be something like £50 to £150.

Why not gently ask them if they would like to make an appointment by asking them when they are free?

Don't forget your USP's (Unique Selling Points). In your case Adam you can appeal to the price shopper by telling them you are a home workshop based business and don't have to pass on High St costs but can still offer high quality work with individual attention.

I would not worry about losing the telephone shopper as they go elswhere on price alone which is not the business you want anyway. Customer of mine who is a photographer never answers his landline and just picks up the answerphone messages.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't worry about losing them either - and nor do I worry about losing a customer that comes in with the artwork.

If I asked, here; right now, how much anyone would charge for a blah by blah print with a 3" mount and a 1" wide gold frame - I reckon I'd get some prices.

I just don't get some attitudes to phone enquiries - you can easily and quickly provide the info required but choose to be suspicious.

Maybe I should shuttup - someone local to me with this attitude could be lurking!
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I am delighted when people ring me for a quote, or call in, or email me, or stop me in the street to ask about framing - because that is my business, and it is an opportunity to get another customer.

I don't understand the suspicious attitude that some framers have to a telephone enquiry.

My objective is to price condition the customer, and get them in to see me. If the price is in completely the wrong ballpark, then we have both saved time. But otherwise, I want an opportunity to do my stuff.

Put yourself in the Customer's shoes - never had a picture framed, no idea WHATSOEVER how much it will cost, how long it will take, or what the process involves, so they phone and ask for a price.

Framer 1 is snotty and up himself, explains that it is FAR TOO complex for him to give a price over the phone, and the customer must come into the gallery for advice. Potential customer is now even more fearful that it may be too expensive, and that they may be made to feel stupid. They will probably not dare to phone another framer, and pop into Ikea to buy a ready made frame. But lets assume they pick up the phone to framer no 2

Framer 2 is friendly, and helpful, he explains that for a picture of that sort of size, it could be anything from £70 for something very basic to £170 if you want to go to town, but most likely average of about £100. He suggests that the customer pops in with the artwork, for a chat, and to see what sort of framing would look best.

So customer will still not come in if she was thinking £25 spend - well that's no problem, by talking to her on the phone, I have saved time in the shop, and saved the customer wasted time. If they arrive with £70 embedded in their mind (which they will) then its my job to get them up to £100+

If the 'customer' is actually one of my competitors, then all I've told him that he didn't know is what a nice helpful person I am, and if the customer is comparing, then hopefully they will like you enough from the phone conversation to come in and see you.

Remember, just because they ask you the price - that does not mean that is the ONLY thing they are interested in, so tell them about your choice, service, and value for money as well
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I usual try to be as helpful as possible, when people call for a rough idea of price. It is usually a poster, print, or photo, and I've never had anyone call and ask for a quote for anything more difficult than this.
I just ask the size, if they want a mount and a wood, gold, black or whatever frame and then pick a mid priced frame. I can usually give a pretty accurate price from memory, and I always read back the size and what they are get for the price.

If someone comes in to see me, and is 'just getting an idea of cost', I will often write down what I have priced for, even giving a moulding reference, and I have 3 framers local to me that I recommend if they want to get some other prices. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't, but they seem grateful that I suggest some other options. If I was a customer I would remember the helpful framer and not the framer who could not give a price over the phone.

Sometimes I have a month when I can't take on any more work, if a new customer comes in, I give them the contact details of the 3 local framers, half of them are happy to wait a month, the rest go to the other framers, and a high proportion of those will still come back to me when they want something else framed in the future.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

actually I did have a complex enquiry recently, from someone in Ireland about conservation and framing of a large antique map, I recommended a very good framer in Ireland! the customer still seemed very happy with my help! :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

In the past, I've thought long and hard about this very question and I think that it is one of those things which we can worry too much about. After a asking a few simple questions, I will give a ball park figure and see if it results in a framing order.

I don't worry about potential competitors doing a price check. It's not only not that much of a problem, but I know a good many local framers and it's not uncommon for one or more of them to phone up to do a price check, or for me to do the same.

I think it's important to recognise that there is enough business to go round and that you won't very much business if you are not the cheapest framer in the neighbourhood.

So give them a ballpark figure and see what happens.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

framemaker wrote:actually I did have a complex enquiry recently, from someone in Ireland about conservation and framing of a large antique map, I recommended a very good framer in Ireland! the customer still seemed very happy with my help! :)

The conservator I have worked with in the past has submitted a proposal as to what should be done with this project before it is reframed.

Time will tell if I get the framing job.

The good thing about this job is that I have worked with the conservator on a very similar job in the past.

Many thanks for the recommendation.

BTW I was able to give to customer or possible customer what I felt would be a very realistic quote over the phone for the framing part of this project.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Gesso&Bole wrote: Remember, just because they ask you the price - that does not mean that is the ONLY thing they are interested in,
Perhaps most people in your part of the world are more genuine than they are down here. People here, phone for a price because they are comparing prices and whoever gives them the lowest price by phone gets the job.

Price is the only aspect of the job they can compare by phone! There are many pleasant, helpful, informative things that framers can say to customers who are price shopping on the phone, but when it all boils down, the only thing that counts is the price.

I only have experience with phone shoppers who are from my community, so I can only comment on my own experience.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Nigel Nobody wrote:

How do you know that, do you follow up on people who call you or have you someother way of finding out who they give the business to.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Nigel Nobody wrote:Price is the only aspect of the job they can compare by phone!
Ohhhhh no it's not* - I know this topic is about phoning for a price - but there's far more that can be compared, and it could follow on from the price request and has done here.

I've been quizzed on how I deal with needlework (and other things) due to bad experiences, what my turnaround time is because some other place was a month, if I take cards - because A.N, Other framer doesn't - and more, but still a price is requested in a lot of those cases.

Plus we get a lot of price requests from people that have been here for other things and have thought of us later for framing - (same could apply to someone who sees your window when you are closed - or logs on to your website - reads your YP ad, your flyer, your ad in the paper/whatever) they've already made the decision to use us, as long as we're not ridiculously expensive - they just don't want to make the trip to hear an unacceptable figure - wasting everyone's time.

Usually we hear 'That sounds about right' - and we know it should; sometimes we hear 'That's better than I expected' and sometimes we hear 'That's bloody disgusting'!

* if I knew for sure that everyone ringing was just after the best price and I knew I had competition who's prices I couldn't match (not withstanding quality) I'd do things differently - not saying I still wouldn't try to win them though - otherwise I'd make it clear on my website and in my ads that I simply do not give quotes over the phone - and I suppose I'd get far far less calls as a result.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

The last customer who phoned me (new customer BTW) only wanted to know if I could have the job done in time for a presentation, nothing about price was mentioned on the phone or was it implied in any way.

The time before that was someone looking for directions, again nothing was mentioned about price, again a new customer.