Why We Should Be GCF's

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Why We Should Be GCF's

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John, I cant get a message through as a reply, so I will create a new topic and hope everyone follows on. So here goes.

I read with interest the topic re GCF and the whys and what fors, and as a GCF Advanced Framer, GCF tester and former Branch Master for Northern Ireland, here is what I have to say on the matter.

Firstly: it is up to a framer as a personal choice, no one is forcing you to take the test and become qualified and at least show your clients that you are trying to improve yourself and your business. You will not be setting out to impress anyone with the qualification, that is not the reason for taking it, neither do we expect the public to know what it means, after all we all go to dentists, surgoens. etc. we dont all know what the letters after thier names mean, nor do we care as long as they do the job we expect from them.

Secondly: The reason I took the test should be the same reason others do likewise, to improve myself and show the public that I have some formal qualification and knowledge of the care, protection, handling and above all the framing of their work. The public today are a lot more discerning than many years ago, price today is not the main factor in a job, but making sure someone has framed it correctly and using the correct materials, is. And therefore by displaying the GCF logo on your door and explaing what it means to every customer, and yes thats every customer does go a long way to creating the air of confidence that today's customer wants.

Thirdly: yes it can be used as a great marketing tool, the logo used on your letterheads, labels, etc. nothing wrong with doing a bit of leg work to get your qualification across, in fact I believe its a necessary tool, to make sure, that if you went to all the problems of buying the study guide, reading it, doing your 3 pieces, sitting your test and passing it, shout it from the rooftops, why not, you earned it. It does as suggested spearate the wheat from the chaff, but once again, YOU have to do it yourself, it will not happen if you just sit back after having passed it. Its like anything in life, you only get out of it what you are prepared to put in.

As for one person sating to another here that he would advise them not to, sorry to quote 'strongly encouage you NOT to do so' become qualified and then give 3 reasons as to why he should, can you explain your reasoning and complete contradiction, and what kind of idle threat is that to make to any fellow framer? Are you worried this person may pass the exam and make better use of his qualification re marketing?

As for the lack of activity to do with GCF's in Belfast, on certain points I would strongy agree, i.e. the lack of a FATG led GCF public awareness programme that was promised several years ago, this as Jogn knows is my pet beef with the FATG and will be until I get action taken or asked to leave, whcih ever is sooner. BUT what I will say, over the past 3 years as Branch Master I have organsied course upon course re GCF refreshers, GCF Advanced, and other courses where the GCF's could get together and exchange views, etc. only GCF from Belfast has ever turned up, and he is not one to let me down witn regard any cousre or any Branch meeting. he is always the first to get there and last to leave. Why is this, I ask? No bloody idea, I answer. Only one of the GATG members from Belfast ecer turned up at a Branch meeting, its not as if the rest were not invited, in fact I hardly ever got a RSVP to say they wernt coming. So dont say there is no activity in Belfast, there is and will be when I get my way.

Today I spoke to the FIRST ever GCF in Northern Ireland, he was and is like me with his promotion of his qualification, even though we are with 6 miles of each other, he states and I am in total agreement, that the GCF scheme is a good idea and will in the future be a necessity as the public become even more consumer aware orientated. I also belive that just because we have the qualification, it doesnt give us the right to belive that we know everything, but what it does give us and all GCF's is the knowledge that we are framing to a set of standards laid down by Fine Art Trade Guild, and using the 5 levels of framing for all our work at all times, it alos gives us te satisfation that we have the backing of FATG in the result of any mitigation with regard sub standrad materials and framing methods used, etc.

If anyone wants to talk to me about GCF, the GCF Advanced modules, the FATG, please contact me on Dromore (028) 9269 3807 I have more to say on this matter, but this will do for now.

Thank you, Steven