Advanced GCF

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

Advanced GCF

Post by markw »

I am going to take my advanced GCF in textile framing later this year. Having been in this business for many years I think ime pretty good at preparing and framing textiles - I have done hundreds - come to think of it I have at least six to frame tomorrow - so why bother taking a test? I know that taking the GCF was nerve wracking - like going back to school. I sat that test with a couple of other old hands and we all agreed that we had learnt a lot by re assesing our approach to the work that we do - never a bad thing. The textile test will take me through a lot of techniques that I seldom use and I hope will give me a usefull marketing tool when (if) passed.
Is it worth the time and money that i will invest?
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

GCF Advanced

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Mark,

Well done in making this decision, in my humble opinion, its one you wont regret once you have passed. (Not 'if' but 'when'

I took mine a few years ago (first male to do so) and havent looked back, it taught me many things and methods, some of which I dont use, and some of which I have never used, but there is always the chance that a job may crop up that a method studied will one day come in helpful. I dont know about you or other framers, but I keep my books on a shelf close to the work bench just incase .........

Not to put you off, the test is no picnic, its very detailed and requires a lot of study, and also because you are a GCF, the examiner assumes you are capable of the standard required, and the Guild also assumes that you are capable of looking for books, etc., outside the required reading for your sources of information. The Advanced Guide is no more than a glossary of terms, etc, you are required to source from other books, etc. The Guild's Fabric Framing booklet is excellent, as is Vivien Kistlers.

The test as per GCF, is in 3 parts, 1. your 3 pieces, 2. your written exam and 3. the practical elements, the whole test last almost 3 1/2 hours. All 3 pieces for inspection are to be conservation standard.

Passing the test has not only vastly improved my knowledge of fabric framing, but it has also enhanced my reputation as a framer, for that part alone I would reccommmend taking the exam. I now get at least treble the fabrics I used to get in, and over the years and taking into consideration the experience gained by studying, etc., they do seem 'not so much a chore' as they used to be, I actually enjoy framing them now...does that make sense? My wife is also thinking seriously of taking the GCF Textile exam, but maybe at the end of this year.

I am at present studying for the Advanced Conservation which I hope to take very soon, the required reading for this cost me quite a bit, but all worth it.

I hope you do well, if you require any further information, dont hesitate to ask me, I wil help all I can.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

Are there only two choices for the Advanced GCF, Textiles and Mount Design & Function, or are there more?

Does the latter take in Mount Lines, Washes etc.? If so I would definitely be interested. I think a course in Hand Painted frames and simple gilding would be a good one to incorporate.
Edward Coxwell-Rogers
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

GCF Advanced

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Coxby,

Yes, the Mount Design & Function does take in wash lines, and panels, infact one of the presented pieces has to have a 5 band wash line and at least a 15mm washed panel. It also take in curved mounts, straight line mounts, joining the two together, 2000 micron or above mount cutting, personally designed mounts, filets, decorated mounts, decorated bevels, multi-apertures, and much more, etc...get the Study Guide from Moira at the Guild (020 7381 6616) and it will tell you everything you need to know.

Like I said to Mark, there is quite a bit of study to the module, but its well worth it. the Guide is just that, a Guide, you need to out source other books. I enjoyed studying and practicing for this module, and learned quite a lot in tne process. I used Lyn Hall's 'Art of Mountcuttung' book for practising, and it held me in good stead when I took the exam 2 years ago.

I agree that a hand finishing and gilding module would be good, its an item I can bring up at the next FC meeting in June and see what happen
s when it gets to the top of the flagpole? I do quite a bit of hand finishing myself, but not gilding, so it would also suit me. I prefer to get my hands dirty and love the designing of the finish, to suit a customers needs, it also ends up being a 'One Of' for the customer, which they seem to like.

Hope this helps? If you need any further info, give me a ring (028) 9269 3807

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre