Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Silk Scarf framing

Post by Bagpuss »

I have had some advice from a couple of colleagues in the Guild regarding framing Silk scarfs but reading some of the "silk scarf" related postings on the Forum I'm wondering if I've considered all the options.

The scarfs are 90cm x 90cm and I had originally thought of pinning the scarf to 5mm Foamcore using T-pins, I read on the Forum about using the Newberry method which would have been ideal as I wouldn't have to put a load of holes in the silk, unfortunately the customer does not want a mount around it so I can't use the Newberry method :(

I obviously have to put a spacer between the silk and the glass and I was thinking of using cotton wadding over the foamboard, are pins the only option ? I don't think lacing would be advisable.

Penny for your thoughts ?

Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Nigel Nobody

Re: Silk Scarf framing

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Adam,
Poking pins through silk can be problematic, especially when wrapping the silk over the edge of foamboard. If there is plenty of spare silk around the image it might be OK, but as it's a scarf, that's probably not the case.

Years ago I did a large silk using a static mount. The silk was placed on a piece of 3mm acrylic and held in place by the static charge in the acrylic. The acrylic was as large as the outside of the mat (rebate size) and the mat covered the edge of the silk.

Certainly, do not lace through the silk.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The wadding is a good idea, but 2oz polyester quilt wadding might be better than cotton, more 'tooth'; then you could overlay it with a fine mesh like tulle, which is cheap and easy to source, or stabiltex which is neither!

Both of these fabrics come in many colours, pick the right one and the scarfe will look just fine - from normal viewing distance with tulle and from even closer with stabiltex.

Don't get a huge roll and get all tangled up in it or you'll be saying 'that's another fine mesh you've got me in to' (sorry)
Framer Dave

Post by Framer Dave »

What sort of value are we talking about? How much margin do you have to work with? It's possible you could use a variation on the Newberry Method:

1. Cut a sturdy board slightly smaller than the scarf. Preferably AF foam board, but I understand it's a bit costly over there.

2. Cover the board in thin polyester quilt batting.

3. Chop and join your frame with slightly less than the usual ~3mm allowance. Seal the rebate if the scarf has any value.

4. Spread the scarf out on the batting-covered board, center it and smooth it out.

5. Place the acrylic (not glass) on top of the scarf, then place the frame. The fit will be slightly snug.

6. Pull the extra fabric to the back of the board to apply slight tension and center the scarf.

7. Place a second board in, shoot the points, finish as usual.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for the advice on the silk scarf framing, I thought I'd share with you how I eventually approached the job.

1. I measured out the scarf and offered it up against a large sheet of Art Foam board from Wessex, just to figure out size to cut it to. I then cut the board ( approx. 90cm x 90cm ), I did buy some 100% Cotton Wadding but I thought the silk scarf laid quite nicely on the Art Foam Board so decided against it.
silk1_forum.jpg
silk1_forum.jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 18166 times
2. I then used "ball point" pints to secure the scarf to the edge of the Art Foam board. I ordered these especially and can confirm that they didn't cause any laddering of the silk, the theory being that they don't split the silk fibre, they just pass between fibres I think.
silk2_forum.jpg
silk2_forum.jpg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 18166 times
3. The frame was cut to 3mm greater than the board, I then lined the rebate with pH7-70 and then cut some 5mm Foam Core, 1cm wide to act as a spacer between the silk and the glass.
silk3_forum.jpg
silk3_forum.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 18166 times
4. I then placed the silk on Art Foam board into the frame and backed it with a sheet of BACK/10 from DJ Simons. I'm quite pleased with the result, now I have to do another one tomorrow :clap:
recent_silk_030910.jpg
recent_silk_030910.jpg (94.89 KiB) Viewed 18166 times
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Great that you got a good result with the silk. They can be problematic even with ball point pins if you're unlucky.
I wonder why you used that particular tape to line the frame?
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi Nigel, I used the ph7-70 tape thinking it might offer some protection of the silk instead of direct contact against the bare wood of the moulding, would you have used a different tape to line the frame ? Just out of interest. :)
cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Adam,
You are doing the right thing to place a barrier between the art and the wood. If the art is less than an inch from the wood in the frame, a barrier should be used. The barrier can be glass or metal. Glass isn't very convenient to use as a barrier so metallised tape can be used.

Lineco make a metallised tape expressly for this purpose. I think it's called "Foil Back Frame Sealing Tape", which comes in 1.25 inch and 3 1/2 inch widths. I keep both sizes and the wider roll is excellent for sealing canvas stretcher bars. This tape can also be used for sealing the backs of frames for special jobs.

I don't think the tape you have used would offer much protection against lignin/acid from the wood as it looks like thin paper. Better than nothing, but lignin/acid would penetrate it in a relatively short time.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for the tip Nigel, I have some of the tape you refer to, I'd previously used it when wanting to waterproof the back of a picture for hanging in a Bathroom. I have to frame the second scarf tomorrow so I'll be sure to do as you suggested.

Thanks,
Bagpuss
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Foiled again!

That tape is very nice/good - it's not cheap though.

PEL do an 'own brand' - it's every bit as good and costs a bit less - having said that, I don't think they have such a thing as a carriage-paid order.
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi Adam

I know this was a dogs age ago, but what material are the pins made of? Just thinking of corrosion.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Sorry, not Adam :roll:
Stainless steel would be my choice.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
emma999
Organisation: no org for now
Interests: i love frames so i want to learn how to do it

Post by emma999 »

Bagpuss wrote: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 8:34 pm I have had some advice from a couple of colleagues in the Guild regarding framing Silk scarfs but reading some of the "silk scarf" related postings on the Forum I'm wondering if I've considered all the options.

The scarfs are 90cm x 90cm and I had originally thought of pinning the scarf to 5mm Foamcore using T-pins, I read on the Forum about using the Newberry method which would have been ideal as I wouldn't have to put a load of holes in the silk, unfortunately the customer does not want a mount around it so I can't use the Newberry method :(

I obviously have to put a spacer between the silk and the glass and I was thinking of using cotton wadding over the foamboard, are pins the only option ? I don't think lacing would be advisable.

Anyways, are you looking for a mexican poncho, you can find a lot of superb designs from https://ozponcho.com.au/c/mexican-poncho/.

Penny for your thoughts ?

Adam/Bagpuss
It's great that you sought advice from your colleagues in the Guild about framing silk scarfs. Considering different options is always a wise approach. The size of the scarfs, 90cm x 90cm, does present some considerations.

While the Newberry method would have been ideal, I understand that the customer's preference for no mount makes it impractical. Using cotton wadding over the foamboard as a spacer sounds like a good solution to protect the silk. As for securing the scarf, pins are indeed a common option, but it's worth exploring other alternatives.

Have you considered using specialized silk mounting tape? It could provide a secure hold without the need for pins or lacing. Additionally, you might find some useful suggestions on the Forum regarding alternative methods that members have successfully employed.

Overall, it's essential to balance the customer's preferences with the preservation and protection of the silk scarf. I hope these thoughts help you navigate the options effectively. If you have any further questions or need more input, feel free to ask. Best of luck with your framing project!
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Tape?

No!

Very old topic too - although revived once three year ago.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.