Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
KCWBB
Organisation: Bayswater Framing
Interests: Photography, painting, reading, football

Venture Photography

Post by KCWBB »

Does anyone know who supplies mouldings to Venture Photography? We have recently taken on a photography studio that used to belong to the Venture franchise and they are doing very well. However, they are keen to replicate alot of the frames that Venture supplied to them as a franchise.

We have done well so far to construct all of there frames and mounts to there specifications but have run against a brick wall trying to find a certain type of moulding which is used to make the 'Citi' frame offered by Venture. does anyone have any ideas?
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Re: Venture Photography

Post by guzzijim »

picturemaker
Organisation: Workhouse Framing Ltd
Interests: woodworking,films,running

Post by picturemaker »

Its funny how all photographers seem too follow the venture style of framing.we had a photographer who requested something similar too this.This is how we did it ,The image is drymounted onto foamcore and then heatsealed the frame which we found too be the nearest match was a polcore moulding from mainline mouldings POL-4284 there are other different sizes available too suit the size or your picture hope this helps
KCWBB
Organisation: Bayswater Framing
Interests: Photography, painting, reading, football

Post by KCWBB »

Thanks for the feedback, but my customer insist we should be able to source the exact moulding as theire current frame. They used to use Ultimat. Any other idease?
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

The Citi looks like a standard black frame with a silver fillet for the inlay.

Website description... "The chunky matt black wood surround with brushed silver inlay"
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
picturemaker
Organisation: Workhouse Framing Ltd
Interests: woodworking,films,running

Post by picturemaker »

I think you might struggle finding the exact frame .Also if you contacted venture they probally wouldn't tell you.so its a case of trying different moulding suppliers too find it.are you able too look at a venture citi frame up close this might give you a helping hand,I've looked on the ultimat website they do some nice products but not the citi frame,I will keep my eyes open
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Difficult to make out from the low res image on the venture website but Arqadia do a range of black mouldings with a bevelled inner edge in a choice of metallic finishes. I have a feeling they are not in the current catalogue.

The ref. numbers are 411 167 002/3/4/5/6/7

They are on the website though.

Match the inner edge to suit your subject.
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

Hi, it looks from the website as though the silver inlay sticks out from the black frame, so unlike the Arqadia ones (maybe the Arqadia ones are their take on the venture style if they are new out).

Being very careful what I say but I've heard from customers that Venture give the impression they do their own framing e.g. said they had seen photos of a workshop in the advertising.

I know a guy who said did some work for Venture in the past (maybe before they went in-house). He said they supplied the mouldings, which were crap, then complained at him when he didn't make very good corners and they said stuff like they were "disgusted" that there wasn't more regulation in framing, etc.

Must make double clear I am only relaying what was said to me, not stating my own opinions here. The fault could lie with either party of course.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

I too heard not very good remarks about Venture.... I was told they failed to gain FAG approval.
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

My guess is that Venture have their own mouldings made up to their own specification to give them a product that to can’t get anywhere else - Probably coming from an Italian or Chinese factory.

If I remember rightly they have a central printers/workshop where all the photos are printed and then framed. I should think they have enough throughput to make it worthwhile getting their own moulding made and not buying them from a company like Arqadia or Simons.

Basically I don’t think you have a hope in hell of getting the exact same moulding.
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

My guess is that Venture have their own mouldings made up to their own specification to give them a product that to can’t get anywhere else - Probably coming from an Italian or Chinese factory.
That's the implication I was given (and think it was described to me as chinese rubbish). Maybe Venture now think the way to get good quality frames is to frame it themselves. Wonder if they are still using the same rubbish moulding now it's their headache...

Sad thing is that volume framer went bust and it was a lot down to big companies not coughing up for stuff they should have, and going direct to China of course.

Depends on the budget and volume but it is not impossible to match a discontinued or unknown frame (send a sample off to a moulding company anywhere and get them to make it is one route). I know of some reputable artists who still get discontinued mouldings made just for them. Most local joinery manufacturers can make any style of moulding (another matter getting them interested in doing a small job). Bit more skill in finishing them probably. I reckon you could use any black frame for the outer - then get the silver bit made perhaps as a special liner frame. Maybe that way you could get close enough for your client. Fair bit of hassle though even finding out.

I find it a bit odd they want to copy venture so closely.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I find that customers quite often come in wanting an exact copy of something they have had, or seen before. They probably have no concept of how many mouldings there are out there, not to mention that even the 'same' moulding from a different batch or supplier could be quite different. If you are not careful it can be very time consuming, and even if you can track down the exact thing your profit will be eroded by time and costs associated with opening new accounts etc with a new supplier.

In this instance, I would be very surprised if Venture mouldings were available elsewhere, any more than you can buy M&S sandwiches from anyone else.

i would try to take this customer down a different route - if they are trying to match an existing frame, then they have 2 options, they can have both framed in a new moulding, or they can go to Venture for the same frame, (but it may be a different batch).

If it is the case that the new photography studio wants to stock the same range as Venture, then they have only 1 choice, and that is to become a Venture franchisee. Assuming they don't want to do that, put together a new range of samples for them that you can supply, and they will have to sell stuff that is available.

Good Luck!!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Fat Jedi
Organisation: Working from Home
Interests: Art, Framing, all manner of Sci-fi geekiness!

Post by Fat Jedi »

I've had a similar expeience with framing some baby foot casts - the customer wanted the same moulding that a franchised unit were using. Spent hours looking for it in catalogues, speaking to reps etc to find that it is licensed to the franchise owners, so not publically available.

In the end, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be to sway the customer into having the new set framed in a moulding we could get hold of, and getting the extra commission to reframe the original set too.

However, to put it in context - did I make any profit from the job due to the amount of time and brain CPU usage?

FJ
Somedays I'm the pigeon, but mostly I'm the ruddy statue!!