Fillets... what do you use to cut?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Fillets... what do you use to cut?

Post by CanvasChris »

I have been doing the 'standard' framing and mounting for a short while and want to now try and include a fillet in the mount. They look so nice with this addition.

Can anyone advise on how to go about doing this and what would be needed.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Re: Fillets... what do you use to cut?

Post by easypopsgcf »

Cut them on your morso......thats what i do.......and remember to cut your board face up,so you dont see the bevel :D
CanvasChris

Post by CanvasChris »

easypopsgcf wrote:......and remember to cut your board face up,so you dont see the bevel :D
Bought a reverse bevel stop for my Ultimat Gold for that exact reason :rock:

Just thought one might need a special measure/cutter as trying to match the hole with the fillet might be a trial and error operation?
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I also use a morso for cutting mount fillets, you can get a measuring contraption, never used it but I think its called Fillet Master, Lion probably sell it.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Cut the fillet to fit the hole! :D
Unless it's cut on a CMC, the mount window edges will be parallel to the outside of the mount. So any slight inacuraccies will be reflected in the window size. 1mm out will not normally be noticable, except when you come to fit a fillet.....
Start with the long sides and cut one slightly over and offer it up to the window. Then shave it down to a perfect fit, tweaking the stop on the Morso as you go. When it's the ideal length, try it on the opposite side before you cut the other long side. It will either be perfect, too long or too short. Point is, You can can see just how much allowance to make before you cut the second length. Fix these two long sides and then repeat the procedure for the short sides.

I never underpin or glue small fillets. If you fit them nicely they won't move.

I generally don't use a reverse bevel. That's just a matter of personal preference. Mostly I pack out the back of the mount with scraps to sink the fillet further in. The lip hight varies between different fillets and I don't like the top of the fillet in contact with the glass, but that's a fine point.

Sometimes I use a wider, deeper fillet and in this case I would underpin the fillet first and cut the mount to fit. This is tricky and you have to pay extra attention to make sure the board is as square as possible (Unless you have a CMC :P )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
CanvasChris

Post by CanvasChris »

Thanks for the FB everyone it's most helpful

prospero wrote: The lip hight varies between different fillets and I don't like the top of the fillet in contact with the glass, but that's a fine point.
Would using a 1mm clear plastic spacer help with the fillet not touching the glass? I was wondering about that situation occurring.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You mean between glass and mount?

I like to have the mount surface right on the glass. Otherwise it might have a tendency to lift away from the artwork leaving an unsightly gap.
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

Had a go at my very first fillets in Minerva plastic last week and I just nibbled away at them on my Axminster trimmer. What a lot of faffing about! Unless I go a bit upmarket I don't think I'll bother too much with them but they do look nice.
Picture%20265.jpg
Picture%20265.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

That looks faff-tastic. :D

It's a good idea to do a few demo frames and have them on display when people are choosing frames. Gives them ideas... :wink:
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Filletmaster is a great tool.

I disagree with you, Prospero about the reverse bevels. I don't think normal bevels look good at all.
I am never concerned about the fillet touching the glass because it's a bit thicker than the mat.

Always add 3mm foamboard (Artcare usually) to the back of the mat to pack it to the same level as the bottom of the fillet and if the art is important to the customer, use Lineco metallised tape on the back of the fillet as a barrier.
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

prospero wrote:That looks faff-tastic. :D

It's a good idea to do a few demo frames and have them on display when people are choosing frames. Gives them ideas... :wink:
Thanks for that. Actually work has dried up a bit (a lot) which I'm surprised about being near Christmas so I thought I'd give the market a try. I knocked up some easels with wood from Wickes and displayed some of my frames (this one of my niece being one of them) and plonked a 'tower' made out of 6mm mdf on the front of the stall on which was attached corner samples with velcro. I made up some ready made frames just to pad the stall out really and in the nine hours I was there on my first day I sold three ready made frames for 4 pounds each! BUT... One elderly chap was there for ages inspecting all the corners and mounts and paid me a compliment, no not "you've got lovely blue eyes" but "your mitres are nice and tight." Apparently he runs a painting club with 30 members and he took over 30 of my cards without me offering. Was great talking to him. On the same day the OWNER of an art gallery and photographic studio must have been impressed with our chat because the following day a young lady from her gallery phoned me and I'm going there tomorrow and am really looking forward to it. It was nice being placed next to a large flower stall, my second day there I was between toys and handbags.
Custard
Organisation: Private
Interests: Photography

Post by Custard »

Another vote for the Fillet Master, if you go the Lion web site you can download the user's manual which will give you a good idea of how it works and if it's right for you.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I disagree with you, Prospero about the reverse bevels. I don't think normal bevels look good at all.
Have you been talking to the Mogster Ormond? :lol:

On a dark board I would certainly agree with you. But I do quite a few mounts in light board with the fillet in the middle of a double mount and the bevel does add and extra sculptural dimension IMHO. Sometimes I add a V-groove. :shock:

As for the fillet touching the glass thing. I think that's just that the idea of something hard pressing in the middle of the glass makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. Just a personal quirk. (Of which I have many) :|
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

We show the bevel.

To my eye, a slightly richer look than the reverse bevel.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
CanvasChris

Post by CanvasChris »

prospero wrote:You mean between glass and mount?
Yes, just so it doesn't press against the glass.

Actually I'm using 23mm deep rebate frames and thought of a 5 or 7mm slip to give that little extra depth. Would have to use non reflective but I think it would look really nice... perhaps?

Thoughts?

On the FilletMaster front I contacted them yesterday .............
FilletMaster wrote: "Hi Chris,

I only recently found out that Lion decided to stop carrying the Fillet Master. I am working with a gentleman in the U. K. about becoming a distributor. We will know within a week or two.

If you aren't in a rush, you will save money by purchasing one from him.

Let me know if that works for you.

Regards,
Jerry
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I am a big fan of FilletMaster. Once you get it calibrated, it will give you dead bang accurate fillets each and every time. No more back and forth to the Morsø, trim and dry fit, repeat ad. infinitum.

It’s not cheap, but if you do just a few, the time savings and the lack of wasted, undercut fillets will more than pay for itself in a few months.

I prefer the reverse bevel look for a fillet, myself. It is all personal taste but I think it looks “crisper” than having the bevel showing.

There is a demonstration video on the FilletMaster web site, but it is in a Windows Media format (.wmv) that doesn’t behave well on my Mac.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

prospero wrote:
Have you been talking to the Mogster Ormond? :lol:
No. I just prefer the look of a reverse bevel. To me it looks more stylish. A bevel up against a fillet looks a little clunky to me.
I guess it's a personal preference, but that's my opinion and the opinion of many other framers too, which is encouraging.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I know. All the reverse-bevellers and non reverse bevellers meet in the car park and we'll all have a darn good punch up. :evil: Last one standing decides. :D

Oh wait. We haven't got a car park. :Slap:

As you were. :)
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

prospero wrote:Oh wait. We haven't got a car park. :Slap:
There's one in front of my shop. We could meet there and compare filleted mats!
Come on down!

The weather is perfect for the beach at the moment and there are plenty of those around here.

We could also have a blue about whether it's pronounced 'fillitt' or 'fillay'. The latter is way to posh for me! I'm just a colonial yobbo! :wink: :wink:
emeraldart
Organisation: Cork
Interests: Sailing, Cycling, Hill walking

Post by emeraldart »

My butcher uses a cleaver to cut fillets. Fillet steaks that is. And with the precision of a morso. No scraggly bits either, All joints are excellent and no need for filler or sanding. A rub of garlic prevents them from shrinking or drying out. Bot so sure what he would do if I asked him for a "fillay". Probably cut my head off. :giggle: :lol: