PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

CRESCENT mountboard anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
I use Colourmount mountboard at the moment, I saw an article in Picture Business this month about Mountboard and I was quite impressed with the photo of the Brite Core ( solid colour ) range from Crescent, I know Bainbridge mountboard is seen as the benchmark of mountboards but does anyone have an opinion on Crescent mountboard ?

Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: CRESCENT mountboard anyone ?

Post by David »

I like it. I use it for their speciality finishes and particularly like the suede range. Good quality and cuts well.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I don't use half as much mountboard as I used to, but I have used a lot of Crescent stuff in the past. The only one I use regularly now is the Blackcore Mist. Unless they have changed, they still come in 40x32. Which can be a slight drawback sometimes.

The Britannia range is a very useful selection. Very similar to Crescent. Excellent cuts and in UK sized sheets. I have never been fond of Colourmount. When they first went onto whitecore the quality was terrible. It may have improved since, but I was put off forever. The Daler Ingres range is very good for washlining.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

We have used Crescent Matboard products for well over 40 years. Their factory has been in the Chicago for over 100 years. They have 4-5 lines of boards - cream core wood pulp, white core wood pulp, alpha cellulose, cotton core, 100% cotton, OEM boards and other types of artists boards(illustration/mounting). Their fabric covered and bright core items are from The Netherlands (Moorman).
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
SPF
Organisation: Sudbury Picture Frames
Interests: Fine Art,Music

Post by SPF »

I use the Museum ragmount and find that you do need a new blade to cut it best.
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Crescent is our primary mat (mount) board. Their quality control is excellent and it cuts cleanly and evenly. It is, however, ever-so-slightly thinner and ever-so-slightly more flexible than Bainbridge, but the difference is almost unnoticeable.

A few weeks ago, the Crescent workers went on strike, but I haven’t heard if those labor problems have been resolved. So, availability may be an issue, but I haven’t had any out of stock or discontinued items for our weekly deliveries since the strike.

I am very happy with the Crescent product line.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Bill Henry wrote: It is, however, ever-so-slightly thinner and ever-so-slightly more flexible than Bainbridge, but the difference is almost unnoticeable.
I'm going to disagree with you Bill. The difference in flexibility is very noticeable! Crescent rag mats are very high quality, but compared to Alphamat, they are very bendable. I use Alphamat in preference to Crescent rag because of two things. Alphamat has zeolytes and is a much stiffer board.
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Bagpuss wrote:Hi,
I use Colourmount mountboard at the moment, I saw an article in Picture Business this month about Mountboard and I was quite impressed with the photo of the Brite Core ( solid colour ) range from Crescent, I know Bainbridge mountboard is seen as the benchmark of mountboards but does anyone have an opinion on Crescent mountboard ?

Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
Get some samples - I believe Wessex might be the people to speak to. Not sure which branch of Wessex covers your area - Dereham / Croydon / Ashford??? - you are kind of in the middle. You could always call head office in Lymington - ask for Ashley - he is a top bloke - he is also "the" top bloke!!!
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've only used Crescent boards once.

Crescent used to have a stand at the Spring (and maybe the Autumn) fair, but I found their range totally bewildering. Then Arqadia (who were probably 'Arquati' in those days) ceased distributing crescent boards and sold the lot off at stupid prices - ragmat at £1 per sheet - I bought a shedload and absolutely loved it. But then it all went weird, couldn't find it easily again.

Wessex do it now; I have the colour charts from them, but they are tailored to the UK market; nothing like the full range and the prices aren't what I'd call 'tempting' either.

Alphamat artcare is what rocks my boat, until it comes to washlines; then it sucks (literally - like a sponge) Crescent boards are great for that, but so are Arqadia boards. The best board I have used for washlines to date is Larson Juhl 'Artique' from Arqadia. Limited colours, but for washlines that's fine.