Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

WHO DARES WINS (David)

Post by Bagpuss »

A very enjoyable day spent at the Spring Fair on Sunday and it was great to meet up some of my Forum friends :clap: That was Roboframer, Merlin, Deepjoy, Tudor Rose, Trigger, steve Goodhall, span2iels and Danchip1, that was 8, see if you can beat that when you're up there this week. :rock:

The one thing that really impressed me was a sculptured mat by David Wilkie on a certain CMC manufacturers stand, it was a simple B&W photo of a soldier driving a jeep along a dusty road, the mat had a Union Jack, the SAS insignia and the words "Who Dares Wins" around it, if you are there this week please take a look, it was incredible.

It got me thinking that you can really be creative with a CMC if you put your mind to it.

Now I have embarrassed David, perhaps I could ask him to put a photo up on the forum please ?

cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: WHO DARES WINS (David)

Post by David »

Hi Adam, sorry I missed you. Glad you liked the piece. The photo is of an SAS jeep in the North African desert circa 1942.
SAS 1.jpg
SAS 1.jpg (328.72 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
SAS 2.jpg
SAS 2.jpg (480.41 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

That is Deepjoy David :clap:

I don't think you look anything like the Avatar Eagle :giggle: More like Steve Wright in the afternoon :giggle: or Ben Elton :giggle: :lol:

Great to meet you.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

david

i was looking at this today on the gunnar stand. I must say one of the best cut mounts i have seen, the cuts are imacculate

one thing that interests me, how did you cut the grooves in the handle, as they are not a fixed depth, seems like they are lighter at one end to the other of the cut
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Stunning!
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

Yep - that's awesome - really nice work!

Jared
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I must say It caught my eye. It is amazing what you can do with a CMC, however I would hate to think how long that took you to create the files to cut that.

Well done.
David

Post by David »

The grooves in the handle are standard V grooves, but rather than a stright line I put a slight curve into it. The picture on the stand is under quite strong light so I think this combined with the shadow is giving the impression of the variation, also the end of the groove is cut at an angle which is also probably helping.

I have played around with the thickness of grooves as I tend to prefer narrower ones to the standard, haven't got my head around the variations possible yet so it's something I want to get back to soon. I'm currently working on the mark 2 with some minor tweeks and enhansed detail. Also need to tidy the files up as I kept saving bits as I went along and need to make some notes before I forget what I did. Although there is nothing new in that I look at some of the stuff I've done in the past and can't work out how I did it. :head: :head:
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Great work David, and so are the examples on your website.

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Starfire
Organisation: The Mountcutter Ltd
Interests: Learning how little I know about framing, Mobile DJ, Writer (Military History and Mac Computers), Legal Consultant and (always) Music

Post by Starfire »

I'm a newbie here, but saw it posted on the forum, so when I was at the show today, I checked it out. It's absolutely stunning. One day, after a lot of practice and reading of manuals, I may be able to get close. I have a Wizard 8000 CMC, but thus far have been producing standard film cell and music mounts for the most part. I do letter mounts (I LOVE MUM, Chelsea, OUR HOLS and so on), and I've played around a bit with bezier curves, steps and similar. We initially bought the Wizard to produce our own mounts (we have a memorabilia business) but to make it pay for itself, we need to make and sell mounts. I thought it would be easy, but having tried, given that I have no experience or formal training, I kept on hitting barriers. I also do some basic framing (I have a Morso and a Framers Corner air powered underpinner). When I look through the Lion catalogue, I find I understand about half of what's in there. It's assumed that people know what certain words mean.
Thanks to reading the posts here, I have learned more in the last few weeks than I've learned in the last year. As many before me have discovered, it's not just sticking four bits of wood together.
It's been a humbling experience. For 30 years I was an IT pro (Apple Macs), where people came to me for advice, and now, as one part of a two person (the other half, fortunately, is a she) band, I had no-one to ask advice of. Once I work out what I need to know, I shall be bending your collective ears.
As an aside, the Wizard is in use for about 15 to 20 hours a week (on average). Should there be any framers within reach of Woking in Surrey, who would want to come to an arrangement over CMC time, possibly simply by teaching me stuff in return for using the machine, let me know. Remember that what is second nature to a trained framer may not have even occurred to me.
Thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge, skills and experience. It has made an enormous difference to me.
Mark
The Mountcutter Ltd
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'm up for some skill-swapping and am about 44 miles away - check this thread out. http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 18&p=38034

I'll have you doing washlines, deep wrapped bevels, slipover frames, melinex mounts, encapsulation - allsorts - and in no time!

I never saw that mount at the show, but awesome anyway :D
David

Post by David »

Hi Robo, it'd be great to meet up sometime you do some good stuff, I'm sure I'd learn something, but do you have anything else?

I got a bit carried away on this one, I also did it before I got the gunnar so it was done on a Fletcher 2200.

Deep bevel wrap, same surface paper as the main mount, coloured bevel (gold), offset corners, multiple mounts, inlays, reverse bevel, hairline and some lines and wash.
Centenery Detail.jpg
Centenery Detail.jpg (107.97 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

On the framing side, David, you'd learn diddly-spit!

But if you want to see how diversification works, pop down. How many framers do you know that have a dry cleaning agency?

We dare ..... but need serious help on the techie side of things.
David

Post by David »

If you missed this piece at the NEC and would like to see it, it will be on display on the Gunnar stand at the Framers Forum Live.