Don't mean to be a pain in the butt, but........

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
jeyelle

Don't mean to be a pain in the butt, but........

Post by jeyelle »

Hi Everyone

Posted this message in an earlier thread, but unfortunately not sure I quite worded it correctly. Everyones advice was much appreciated as always, and am still astounded by the time given freely, to guide those of us, who are to say, at least "less experienced"

Well to my point, I have copied my original post at the bottom of this post, just to refresh, but the point I was meaning, was to try and build something up from the ground, after the work from family and friends has dried up.
I wondered if anyone else has found themselves in this position, at some point, and what advice they would give.
As mentioned the majority if not all of my work comes from family etc, and am wanting/needing to get into the general market, and what are the best steps of doing this.
I have placed posters locally with very little impact, and have now, posted a website....(Please have a look, cos its all my own handiwork....)
I have a mailshot that I mailed to lots of local photographers etc, and once again, little impact....
I guess my eventual goal, is to, develop to a stage where I feel more cofident in taking the huge step of packing in my job, and going alone. Look forward to the advice given, and many thanks in advance.......

PS If I still haven't quite explained correctly, and still a bit unsure, feel free to PM.....

Jeremy

(Original message as follows........)
Hi everyone

Always enjoy hearing peoples replies, and appreciate the advice the more experienced give so willingly......

Anyway to try and cut a long story short, just wondered peoples opinions.
I am a Graphic Designer by trade, which now bores me to tears, and having done picture framing (which is my passion), for well over 11 years, was wondering about a career change.
Most of my work comes from family and friends and realise there is probably no formula, but has anyone any ideas/tips of taking this to the next stage regards setting up in the business, and getting business from the general public/photographers/artists etc.

Hope you can help, and give me some inspiration.........

Jeremy
markw

Post by markw »

Jeremy - not sure that anyone on this forum can give you any more advice, other than go and get trained. You have to realise that this is a competetive business and there are lots of professional framers out there chasing the work that you aspire to. You have to ask yourself what do you have to offer as a part time framer to a professional photographer.
jeyelle

Post by jeyelle »

Point taken Mark, and thanks.
Got to admit I have thought of taking the GCF, for a while now, so at least it should give confidence to myself and others knowing I frame to the standards set by the FATG......
Once again, thanks for your input.....

Jeremy
osgood

Post by osgood »

There are many issues which combine to make you a professional framer and thus acceptable to prospective customers.
Knowledge is very important. We all need lots of good knowledge and should get it any way we can.
Equipment is also very important.
Skill is also very important.
Promotion is extremely valuable to get you started. If people don't see us as being "professional" they will not become our customers, unless they are totally price driven and care about nothing else.

One way to promote youself and your business is to set up a display in a shopping centre or other venue where hundreds of people pass by. People will soon see whether you are professional or not. Manning the display yourself is best so that you can give handouts to people who stop to look.

Vouchers work really well for me and perhaps they would work in your country too. On a few occassions when business has looked like slowing down, I post out a voucher for $20 (to 500 customers) which can be used for full custom framing jobs of any value. This always brings in several thousand dollars of work.
If you don't have a customer list to send these to, you could letter box them to a few thousand homes and businesses in your area. Pick the more affluent areas.

Down here, photographers are a dead loss to promote to and I ignore them completely. Photographers are full of promises that never happen. They are the last people on earth I would want as customers because they are "cheap".