Morso Measuring

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
jeyelle

Morso Measuring

Post by jeyelle »

Hi Everyone

Just upgraded to a morso, having used a magnolia for many years. Most things seem straight forward enough, but can't get to grip with the measuring system.......
Tried a search, and one topic seems to give a bit of advice, but still can't seem to figure it out........
Maybe it's just me thats a bit daft.......
Taken the number from the machine and contacted Morso for instruction book, but in the meantime can anyone help, making sense of the measuring system...???
If anyone can help, or if its easier for me to give them a call on either mobile or landline, I woud be most grateful......

Many Thanks

Jeremy

PS email is jeremys@blueyonder.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Your Morso has 3 scales -

A sliding scale with a mitred end, a long fixed scale and a short fixed scale at right angles to it.

The short fixed scale measures the back of the moulding, twice this distance needs to be added to your 'glass size'

The sliding scale is marked TWICE as big as it actually says - to save you doing the maths.

So - if one side of the glass size is 500mm and the back of the moulding is 25mm, align the 25mm point on the sliding scale with the 500mm point on the fixed scale.

You may find the machine is calibrated to cut sligtly larger to allow for some play.

You can ALSO, measure one side of the glass size, say 500mm, add twice the moulding back yourself, say 25mm x 2 = 50mm and set ZERO on the sliding scale to 550mm on the fixed scale.
markw

Post by markw »

KISS
chop end off mopulding (first cut).
slide moulding along bed so that you can measure the inside edge of rebate against the vertical scale.
take piece of white tape - tape it on the sliding part of the horizontal scale so that it indicates the figure on the vertical scale. your morso scale is now calibrated to the piece of moulding that you wish to cut. Set the size of the longest length first on the fixed part of the sliding scale using the edge of the white marking tape as the set point on the sliding scale - hope that makes it straight forward enough.
jeyelle

Many Thanks

Post by jeyelle »

Hi Everyone.....

Just thought I'd post a quick, but a very LARGE Thank You, to those that replied, namely John, Mark, Martin, and my friend from across the water....
Bet you didn't expect my life story though... :-).
It is much appreciated, and helped no end. Without the explanation I would still be scratching my head.....

So once again, Thanks

Jeremy
Mike

Mine only has two scales.......

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I have a brand new Morso,but I only have two scales,the sliding angled one and the long fixed measure. Is the third an option?.

Regards,Mike
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

Hi Mike.
The third scale is at right angles to the long fixed scale, just afer the right cutting blade.Its recessed into the morso bed. Its the first scale you use when making a frame. it measures the inside edge of the rebate. If that scale is missing the recess should be easy to see on the bed its about 1/2 inch wide maybe a bit less. Usually if one scale is missing its the sliding scale as it can be taken off or fall off in transport. :roll:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Yep,I do indeed have the third scale :D I think I'm so used to seeing it,it never registered!,well, it had been a really long day........

Thanks,Mike.