My Prices Verses Imported Ready-mades

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Roboframer

Re: My Prices Verses Imported Ready-mades

Post by Roboframer »

People just need to put things in to perspective and it might be difficult for them to do that if they are first-timers, especially if they are the type of first-timers that have always bought off-the-shelf but this time they cannot, for whatever reason.

So they come across you via whatever means - and in my case, which I know is the same case as many, they're looking at a (relatively) small shop in a non-primary location. They're thinking 'cottage industry' - we've got to be gagging for the work - what a privilege to be used in preference to a place like Ikea!

What they need to think is Quality Seconds, Bonmarché, or even TopShop, Next, M&S and Dorothy Perkins .... versus Gieves & Hawkes.

But you also have to do your bit too, you need plenty of examples about, you need to create an atmosphere and if your shop is also your workshop, or if your workshop is on view and it's not exactly a laboratory and you present yourself in an apron with with hand tools poking out of its pockets and a pencil behind your ear, well, that's not 'Gieves & Hawkes' is it!
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

Perhaps we should be more like this

Custard
Organisation: Private
Interests: Photography

Post by Custard »

prospero wrote:It's like going round to a car factory and saying,

"I like the such-and-such model, but can you make me one 3" shorter so it will fit in my garage?"

"Certainly can Sir. But we will have to charge you a £50,000,000 surcharge to re-tool"

"But it will be a smaller car!" :shock:

Extreme example, but the principle is sound.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Blue sky
Organisation: Blue Sky Gallery
Interests: Picture framing, photography, learning!

Post by Blue sky »

It's an annoying fact that people want the best but don't want to pay for the priveledge. I've found by explaining that the frame is made of good materials and that the product is framed to conservation and safety standards that this is usually enuough to calm the punters down. Ikea dont guarantee any of that. Also refering to either a written or computerised price list helps, rather than giving a price off the top of your head. This lets the customer know that they're getting charged the same as everyone else. If the item is an odd shape or size and requires more work and hence a higher price, explain this. Keep them in the loop a bit.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I wonder if people take frames to IKEA and ask if they can cut them a mount. :giggle:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
vividP
Organisation: Vividicity
Interests: Oil painting (so framing...), art & photography, guitar, tech things & engineering

Post by vividP »

I think you get a free frame with their mounts.
I've used their frames in the past (yep, cheapskate artist...) and going back just a couple of years the (I think) Ribba frame was solid wood. Not chunky, maybe the glass was thinner etc but for just over a tenner for a 40x50cm they were good value. Now they're paper and the ones I last regret buying seemed to spontaneously fall apart.