Business card… ideas

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
V-Nail

Business card… ideas

Post by V-Nail »

Hi, now that I have the framing equipment, I was thinking of having business cards made up. And I'm looking for some guidance/advice on what you would recommend if anything. Does anyone have templates that are available? All ideas welcome.

Many thanks.
:D
dottad

Business Cards

Post by dottad »

Hi,

You can make your own which means that you can easily change any details without it costing the earth, and also you can then just print off as many as you need at any one time.

I use 'Sigel' 3C business cards which are 225g in weight and you just run these off on a printer (in my case an inkjet).

I use these for all our company personnel and it works out much more cost effective, especially as people are either changing title, mobile number, area or just leaving. As you then get left with a large amount of cards which are of no use.

If you go to PC world, or Staples, you will find a number of different types. Just make sure you get at least 225g or they will be too flimsy.
Dot
norymags
Organisation: Picture This Framers
Interests: Photography and Motor-homing.

Post by norymags »

Make your own at Microsoft Office Publisher if you have it.

I make a hunderd at a time on good quality card available anywhere that sells good quality card.

An A4 makes 10 business size cards at one go on my printer, then I cut them up on a small guillotine and attach to the frame wrapping, and to give to anyone that wants one, you would be amazed as to where they turn up. It is a good and easy from of advertising... Norrie
markw

Post by markw »

I agree with both previous answers - I use the cards that you can just break out of the sheet - I dont print huge numbers but can print more at any time I need them. I would regard a good printer as one of the basic neccesary items for my business and I use mine for everything from business cards to posters, flyers etc. I have said it before but the other little printer that I find invaluable is a little Seiko label printer - everything that goes out of my door has a personalised label - I take every opportunity to make sure my business name gets noticed.
beth

Post by beth »

I agree this all the above, it is easier to print your own. However if you dont own a decent printer try wwwprontaprint.com , my local one in SW19 were very helpful and speedy, I have had leaflet printed with them and it was much cheaper than the ink I would have used
markw

Post by markw »

If you are looking at volume printing always go for a laser printer. Admittedly refills are expensive - but pale into insignificance compared to inkjet as they last for such a long time. Print quality and longevity are also better on laser print - so the black titling done on a laser will stay black - on many inkjet printers it will fade in a few months.
V-Nail

Post by V-Nail »

Guy's thank you very much for all your pointers. I have Publisher so I will attempt some design and will run this off on the paper suggested.

Again thanks.

Drew :D
dottad

Business Cards - Ideas

Post by dottad »

Hi, It is publisher that I use and it works a treat.
Dot
V-Nail

Post by V-Nail »

Dottad, do you only use the templates that are within publishing?
dottad

Business Cards

Post by dottad »

Hi,

Although I use the templates within publishing, I have also made my own for our company using our logo and design.

It is easy to adjust where you want your logo to go or specific wording etc. I have also made my own for my art work using one of my own drawings. The programme changes the size of your graphic to suit the size of box you have.

hope this helps, but just let me know if I can be of help.

Dot
Dot
markw

Post by markw »

Publisher is a good basic programme - but is fairly limited in functionality. Coreldraw is worth investing in if you make up a lot of graphics as you have far more control over the text and graphic elements.
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

Like Mark said, CorelDraw Graphics Suite is a top of the range product that we have been using for years now, not so much on the framing side of our business, the only part of framing we use it for is doing layouts of mounts and transfering them to the CMC, Gunnar's software allows us to do this. The main use we have for it, is doing work on the decorative glass side of our business. It costs around £350, but if you intend to do alot of work with graphics is well worth the money. If you only want to use it for doing layouts for business cards, then its like buying a sledge hammer to open a walnut.Theres lots of programs out there just used for designing business cards, so are good other not worth the money. One of the good ones is Business Card Designer Plus, is cost around $25 , I think you might be able to download a trial version of it. I use the card that you break off the sheet also, but I found out that if you print to many at at a time they tend to curl up slightly, or maybe its just the card I'm using, so I only print them as a use them now.
markw

Post by markw »

You can use web based software on both Decadry and Averys websites to design your business cards. I agree that Coreldraw is overkill just for business cards - but as a graphic artist i tend to be very fussy about spacing etc. A good place to source slightly older - and much cheaper versions of software is on ebay. Lemondrop, I also use Coreldraw to design mount aperatures for my CMC - I am intrigued by your use for glass etching.
Colin Watt

Business card… ideas

Post by Colin Watt »

Hi Everyone,

I get my cards for another business I run from www.vistaprint.co.uk
You can get 250 FREE. You just pay the cost of the postage, and you can design them online. Great FUN :D

The only downside with the Free ones, if you can call it that, is that there will be a small line of text on the reverse side stating that "Business Cards are FREE at www.vistaprint.co.uk!"

I can highly recommend them :D

Colin
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Colin,

Thinks for the tip, and welcome to the forum.
jeyelle

Post by jeyelle »

Hi There Vnail

If you are having problems, feel free to write to me at jeremys@blueyonder.co.uk

Lets just say I know quite a bit about print related matters, and will endeavour to help the best way I can.......

All the Best To Everyone and hope you have a good Xmas

Jeremy
RobinC

Vistaprint

Post by RobinC »

A Happy New Year to all,

Just thought I would post and recommend Vistaprint as mentioned on an earlier post on this thread.

In a quiet moment last week I was reading the posts,and followed the recommendation to the Vistaprint website, ordered 250 free business cards, plus 1000 of my own design, complete with photo of our shop.

The cards have just been delivered about a week after we orderd them. Both the free cards and the paid for cards are excellent, and the paid for cards were considerably cheaper that my current printer.

When you place an order with Vistaprint you have to click through several advertising windows to complete the order, the last one being for a discount club, free for one month and £9.99 a month thereafter. Just close this window. I clicked on the " no thanks" box and still got registered. The discount applies if you buy gift vouchers and is up to 8%, but personally I cannot be bothered with this type of savings as I know that I will forget to cancel and it will then cost me. It wasn't a problem to cancel the membership but I could have done without the bother.

Robin