Morso cutting advice please

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Morso cutting advice please

Post by CanvasChris »

I have a client who wants some big frames, 32" square, well, big for me.... and the moulding they have chosen is the 2 below. This is going to be an ongoing product they wish to sell so not just a 1 off.

Questions are would the morso cut them OK? The big white one is a heavy gesso flat mat white.... guessing chop on this one perhaps.

and another question is how would you underpin such deep scoop mouldings? especially the white one.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-05-01 at 13.10.34.png
Screen shot 2012-05-01 at 13.10.34.png (148.6 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Screen shot 2012-05-01 at 13.10.10.png
Screen shot 2012-05-01 at 13.10.10.png (213.29 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
prospero

Re: Morso cutting advice please

Post by prospero »

I've used the black version of the top one now and then. It's a fair old chunk of wood and not easy to get a neat cut. If I remember right, you can't cut though all the way with the Morso. It's high at the front, so if you raise the blades by tweaking the tie-rod nuts it won't cut all the way down the back in one stroke.
Best way - work out the outside dimensions of the rails and hand-saw about 1/2" longer. Then bite in with the Morso as far as you can and when the limit is reached, run the blade along the cut face to complete the cut. I think I mentioned this method recently in another thread...... Do one end and then cut to pencil mark on the sight-edge.

The compo is quite thick so you will get some ragged bits. This finish (white and black) is so smooth and featureless that it's a pain to touch up. The ones I have done were refinished. I rubbed the black down, primed and painted it black again. Sounds silly, but there was method in my madness. :lol:

If it's available in chop-service then I would be inclined to go for that.

It's plenty big enough to underpin also. In fact it's too high to fit in mine. I used biscuits + two 3" woodscrews across the corner. Again, with the frame being re-finished I could fill the big screw-holes and make good.

The bottom one I haven't used, but it looks a whole friendlier proposition. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
CanvasChris

Post by CanvasChris »

Thanks Prospero

Arquadia appear to do a chop service on that one so will go with that. They also appear to do a Routing and Fitting kit with it. Wondered what that was so rang them and they do the biscuit joints for £2.50 a frame... sorted!! :clap:

The bottom sample does look a lot more friendlier.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

The bottom one cuts fine on a Morso, and joins well too.

Sometimes you do need to fill it a bit on the back edge, but being a bit of a 'shabby chic' black finish it is very easy and quick to tidy up
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

The bottom moulding is great but can go out of stock as it is used by Washington Green. I think you will struggle with the top one with a morso really needs to be cut on a saw or get it on chop.
CanvasChris

Post by CanvasChris »

Thanks for all the advice.... Chop defo for the big one!! especially if they biscuit joint it too for me.
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Post by CalicoFraming »

I got some gessoed moulding on chop recently, having wrecked the back edge of another gessoed stick on the Morso. Was a bit dismayed to find that the chopped lengths weren't perfect either - a tiny bit of gesso had been knocked out of the back bottom corners. The supplier said that's the best I can expect to get with gesso and I'd just have to fill it - and that it doesn't matter whether you use a Morso or saw, some gesso always gets chipped. Is this right? Would it be unrealistic to expect perfect results on chop for this sort of thing?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

My saw will sometimes chip a gessoed moulding but it depends on how sharp my blades are, the shape and profile and how thick the gesso is. Having said that it is never as bad as it was with a morso and it is only occasionally.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I sometimes drag a bit of moulding out of the huge pile in the shed. Some of it must be 20years+ old. Thing is, it always cuts better than most modern mouldings. Even thick compo'd stuff. So it goes to show they just don't make it like they used to. :(

Did a photo with Arquati Colourwood the other week. The stick must be from the '80s. :P Cut and joined perfectly.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
art dude
Organisation: canal gallery
Interests: framing and art

Post by art dude »

I learned long ago that life can be made much simpler by using chop saws in addition to the Morso. With some woods, and some profiles, the struggles with the Morso just disappear. My two Dewalts work far better in most cases, and they are faster.
Julia
Organisation: Bexley
Interests: Quality framing and being creative

Post by Julia »

CanvasChris wrote:Thanks Prospero

Arquadia appear to do a chop service on that one so will go with that. They also appear to do a Routing and Fitting kit with it. Wondered what that was so rang them and they do the biscuit joints for £2.50 a frame... sorted!! :clap:

The bottom sample does look a lot more friendlier.
How did you get on with this? I'm working on the wider version of the white moulding - 757 127 000, and had it chopped (didn't know they would also join). Managed to join on my CS88, but the corners don't join perfectly - 3 small gaps the 4th a slightly larger one. THe moulding also wasn't perfect - some bubbling in the paint. SO I'm now thinking of filling the gaps, sanding down and spraying with universal spray paint (have a sample to practice on). Have no idea if it will work! Just wondered how you got on?
CanvasChris

Post by CanvasChris »

Hi Julia

This was the one I had the routing/dovetailing done on that I described on your post.

It went together well and was reasonabley square.... Thought it would be better using a saw but I guess your corners confirm not. Perhaps Arqadia need to calibrate their saw? used 'L' brackets to add support to the bottom corners. It was a heavy beast too so used strap hangers as opposed to stringing it.
Julia
Organisation: Bexley
Interests: Quality framing and being creative

Post by Julia »

Thanks canvaschris! sorry hadn't connected the 2 posts! So the joins were ok, no gaps?
CanvasChris

Post by CanvasChris »

No gaps.... although it was very very slightly twisted but nothing to have worried about.