Glazing an oil

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Glazing an oil

Post by YPF »

I had an oil on board brought in over the weekend and the customer agreed to a design that included AR glass. Customer mentioned this to the artist who was quite adamant that it should not be glazed - so now every thing has been paused until I have a much more in depth conversation with the customer.

I know there are differing views on glazing an oil but is there any technical reason why it cannot be done. I have made sure that the oil will be spaced from the glass.

Many thanks.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
prospero

Re: Glazing an oil

Post by prospero »

Personally, I don't like to see glass over oils unless there is a sound reason for doing so. If it's old and a bit fragile. Or if if done on an insubtantial substrate like a bit of cornflake packet.

Oils if properly executed are tough. And there is also the contentious subject of free air circulation. Oils don't dry so much as cure by interaction with the air. This process can take decades.

OK. Glass will keep the painting clean over the years, but by the same principle you would put statues in big glass cases. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree with Prospero I don't see much advantage bar selling a piece of AR glass :giggle: :giggle:.

I frame up hundreds of high value oils and I would never dream of putting glass over them. Most galleries for one would not expect it or for that matter accept it.

Oils are vanished so as they protect the painting but allow the painting to breath and cure. The varnish is a removable element which in the hands of a professional can be cleaned or removed when necessary.

I personally think by putting a piece of glass over it even specialty AR glass, you loose the 3D element of an oil.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Glazing oils is different - being different is good :-)

Oils don't need to breathe, they don't have lungs and anyway, unless your backing board is glass or metal and the whole package is sealed to some waterproof standard - the thing will still 'breathe'.

As explained - in time it will probably cost money to clean an oil properly and especially to remove and replace the varnish. That will never need doing if glazed and in the meantime, well, just ask the customer what they'd rather clean - the oi or a piece of glass?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Or just ask the customer if they want a piece of glass over it or not.

Simple

PS Robo I knew you would head up the pro glass contingent :giggle: :giggle:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I knew you knew :roll:

I wouldn't simply ask the customer, I'd make recommendations then let them decide based on those. The majority don't go for it - some due to the exxtra cost, some because they don't care and some due to simply not being convinced/probably thinking I'm just on an upsell - which of course, it is. ..... so one more advantage then, more wonga :rock:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Just to be contrary...........I've just framed a cheapo bedsheet oil. :roll:

With Museum glass. :P
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

:giggle: :giggle:
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions. I had those conversations with the customers where I outlined all the options and after nearly half an hour a decision was made. I even suggested that the couple take another few days to discuss the options available and to let me know. They only came back to me after mentioning to the artist about the glass.

I will call them back and outline all the options again and see what decision they come to this time - not that it is hugely important but I suspect I wont be selling any AR glass. :)
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
standenfineart
Organisation: Private
Interests: Private

Post by standenfineart »

An argument for glass over varnish:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/artscie ... ing-color/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'm not too keen on varnish either. :?

I should point out that modern varnishes are not the same as the one used on the VG.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

prospero wrote:I'm not too keen on varnish either. :?

are you keen on anything :-))
prospero

Post by prospero »

stcstc wrote:

are you keen on anything :-))
Bacon Buttys. :P

Yum Yum. :lol:
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Looks like varnished bacon to me!! :lol: :giggle:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

ah but you see if it had AR glass in front of it you wouldnt be able to tell :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

...or eat it! :Slap:

Can't stop thinking about bacon now :shock: http://mikegeno.com/framed_bacondrawings.html
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

David McCormack wrote:...or eat it! :Slap:
A very apposite analogy. :P
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

I agree with the glazing option.

I dont understand why, if the customer owns the picture, what the artist thinks here has any relevence.As long as copyright is not breeched, surely the legitimate owner can display the painting however they choose?
Ian
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Legally the artist has no right in how a painting is to be framed but as framing is part of the aesthetics of the art work then some advice on how it looks best surely isn't a bad idea. But then perhaps it should have been sold framed.

I work with an artists who's work is built up of many layers of glazes and the sheen is part of the piece, If you where to put a piece of AR glass over it you would lose that (i have tried it).

Admittedly a piece of glass is easier to clean than an oil but surely the piece should be kept as the artist intended it to be viewed.
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

I think that if the artist sees the piece framed as his finished vision then I agree that it should be sold as such, already framed

I have had many customers over the years that have followed the artists “advice” and not liked the finished article. Several more who have been quite upset that the frame cost was prohibitive and they were concerned that they would not be able to afford to hang it. Including one poor couple who, when being told the price of the frame (artist insisted on a 100mm silver gilded frame) became visibly distressed. We managed to calm them and explain the situation legally and they ended up with a smaller silver foil moulding and were delighted with the result, even the artist (reluctantly) admitted it did suit the image better as well as being about one fifth the price
Ian