new blades

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: new blades

Post by IFGL »

Those blades lasted about a week chopped around 100 frames and did not feel very good t all compared to the framers corner new blades. These blades are a fairly old set with not a great deal of life left in them.

I have replaced them with the morso blades that I am comparing the framers corner blades with, these feel far better than what I took off, they feel like they are cutting/shaving the moulding, I have not thought about how much the blades have been used and grinded away affects how well they cut.

That said the framers corner blades still felt better, they seemed to hold the moulding in place as they passed though it, maybe something to do with the shape of the back of the blade.
Smiffy
Organisation: Frame
Interests: Wood, glass & v-nails

Post by Smiffy »

We've just stuck a set of these on our Morso... All exciting stuff, taking into account whats been written on this thread!
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

The framers corner sharpened blades are next in our rotation so will be on soon, we have 7 sets so it takes a while to get round.
Dave

Post by Dave »

If I understand correctly the set of Morso blades you took off have a flat ground profile. If so, they have been incorrectly ground. Hollow ground blades should have a concave profile like the framers corner set pictured. Full of cold and ear infection at the moment, so may just be interpreting that wrongly. May also be telling granny how to suck eggs, if so apologies.

Dave
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

no the edge is hollow ground, the back of the blade is a different shape, and the blades are pointier, our blades are sharpened by wessex I'm sure they will do them correctly.

(Edit) we have had incorrectly sharpened blades before and know what that is like, they were removed straight away.

Further more we do not have any problems what so ever with morso blades, our corners are perfect, these new blades from framers corner so far are just simply better, we will be putting them back on shortly and I will let you know how they compare now they have been sharpened.
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Has it been their turn again yet?
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I thought it was their turn, but unfortunately Wessex accidentally kept hold of them for a little while, we now have them back and are waiting for the current set to dull, won't ne long now, I have a heap of ash frames to make.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

We have had a set of these blades on for nearly two months now are showing no signs of wear. They have already outlasted sharpened morso blades, but I too will be interested to see how they perform once sharpened.

I cut very few Ash & oak on the morso, preferring to use the chop saw, but that has always been the case. So far these blades are very impressive.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I think they may be back on, I had a message phoned through from the workshop and relayed through another staff member which read, "like a hot knife through butter, he will know what I mean" . I haven't so far had time to follow up on the call.

This is from Jamie, now Jamie absolutely hates change and was incredibly sceptical about trying any other blades than Morso.

This will be a good test of the blades, I still have a heap of deep rebate ash to cut!!
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Initial report on re sharpened blades , they feel and cut better than the sharpened Morso blades.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Here is a thought........

I was going to buy a set of original Morso blades but decided to test these due to what I thought was some pretty wild claims, which so far appear to be very justified, so here is a look at the money side.

The price of these Blades £158.50
Cheapest Morso £168.
So £9.50 saving so far? No!

Initial use yielded at least 2 x frames made than the brand new Morso blade we had on.
£12 more I have saved on sharpening cost + 30 mins lost production time in a blade change and set up.
If I price the lost time at £15 (priced low on purpose) that's £27 more saving.
After putting the sharpened set back on I am confident they are going to out last the sharpened Morso blades. It isn't going to take long to totally recover the blade cost and be in credit at this rate.

I am now so impressed I am considering retiring all of my Morso blades and getting 2x sets of these, at this stage I fully believe this move will actually save me money in a short amount of time.
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

Thanks for this IFGL.
It sounds a very good proposition. Your input is valuable. :clap:
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I am going to wait until they have had a couple more sharpens before I retire my Morso blades , just to be sure, 5 sets are nearing the end of their life anyway, this will leave 1 set of almost new Morso blades to act as an emergency set, and 3 sets of framers corner blades in rotation.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

the framers corner blades have now been on 2 weeks, we usually change the blades every 1 to 2 weeks depending on what we have been cutting, these still feel brand new! We have cut quite a bit of ash and oak, I would have expected to have had to change them already.

I tried putting on a freshly sharpened set of Morso blades just to be sure, there is no comparison, the Framers corner blades are superior by quite a way IMHO, both sets are relatively new and only been sharpened at Wessex.

If the FC blades continue to out perform after a few more sharpens, Morso will have some redesigning to do.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

More experiments, we chopped some ornate molding a couple of weeks back this is one of those mouldings you really need fresh blades for, one strip felt very light, I think you all know what I am talking about , the wood was unusable, this was cut with blades that were fairly fresh.
Attachments
2013-04-15 16.07.01.jpg
2013-04-15 16.07.01.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 16477 times
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

So remembering this strip of abhorrent mess that was.passed off to us as picture moulding I thought I would test how the FC blades would cut it.

I trimmed about 5 mm off, still not perfect but a whole heap better and I am 2 weeks in on this set.
Attachments
2013-04-15 16.12.48.jpg
2013-04-15 16.12.48.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 16477 times
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

That is very impressive. I am now two months into these blades and they are as good as new. I used to use a piece of moulding that was similar to yours (we call it balsa wood) as the sign that the blades need changing. No such issues as yet.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I am very glad that yours also seem to be better than the Morso blades, I was a little worried I had a freek set.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

we have given the blades some right old hammer this week with plenty of ash, oak and some heavy gessoed carp, they are still cutting very nicely, my morso blades would have been cutting like I had strapped two carrots to the head by now.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

IFGL wrote:Ok, the morso blades I just put on just don't feel very good compaired to the framers corner blades, it actually feels like the blades are smashing the moulding rather than cutting,
Thats because from your photo they don't appear to be hollow ground which they would have been when they came out of the morso factory. Your new ones obviously are hollow ground. I would check that the company who sharpens them are actually hollow grinding them.