Wanted - wall mounted chevron display system

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Wanted - wall mounted chevron display system

Post by grahamdown »

Hi,

Anyone have a wall mounted chevron display system for sale please?

Regards,

Graham
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Re: Wanted - wall mounted chevron display system

Post by baughen »

It's probably easier to make one yourself using MDF, some covering and velcro. That way you can customise it to your wall space available etc. Lion Pictures also do parts to help the DIY solution.
tebbles
Organisation: the frame shop
Interests: music, framing

Post by tebbles »

I just made this one last week, looks a lot better than a board with black fabric.
Attachments
display 3.jpg
display 3.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
display 2.jpg
display 2.jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
display 1.jpg
display 1.jpg (115.31 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

My problem is lack of wall space for the number of moulding chevrons i have hence the need for double-sided panels that hinge from the wall :(
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Post by Chris2103 »

Adapt the design shown so you can hang chevrons both sides and hinge to the wall. Sorted :clap:
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Personally, I think large fabric displays look far better than any sort of rack system. I use the grey loop fabric Wessex sell glued to 6mm MDF panels.
I have mine framed with a flat oak moulding and a picture light above each one - they look great!

You can also make a few smaller panels for less popular mouldings and keep them in a rack of some sort to bring out when needed. I have a large artist's easel for displaying these. You can use them to showcase anything you need to shift or 'new' product lines...
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Glimpse wrote:Personally, I think large fabric displays look far better than any sort of rack system. I use the grey loop fabric Wessex sell glued to 6mm MDF panels.
I have mine framed with a flat oak moulding and a picture light above each one - they look great!...
I agree that fabric panel displays can look the best, too. We used them for many years, but rather than frame them, we created a more subtle appearance to allow the samples themselves to take center stage, by "floating" them above the wall covering. We still used this method on our closed corner samples in the shop as seen below.

Otherwise, when space is an issue, I am a big fan of these turnstyles.... They only protrude from the wall about 13 inches in total. Two flips and you have seen all three sides, FACE on which I think is important. The swinging door panels that the OP (Graham) is asking about, don't allow the moulding samples to be viewed perfectly straight on, and also can potentially swing into each other, causing damage to the samples themselves.

Here is a picture of three turnstyles cover in Veltex fabric, identical in characteristics to that which Wessex sells, as mentioned by Glimpse. We actually have 22 additional turnstyles in our shop which holds a boatload of samples. :-)

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Graham,

Here's another picture of "Space Savers". I think they have a professional look, function well, and although these are commercially available from two sources in the United States, they could easily be made by any good woodworker...

One vendor here supplies these with a gray neutral linen and Velcro stripping down the center of each triangle side. I simply ordered these raw and primer painted. I then covered them myself with Veltex fabric.

Cheers,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

All those differing length samples with ends at different angles (45, 90 and 135 degrees) look a bit chaotic to me. I'd want them all with the same length along the edge and reverse mitred.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Jamesnkr wrote:All those differing length samples with ends at different angles (45, 90 and 135 degrees) look a bit chaotic to me. I'd want them all with the same length along the edge and reverse mitred.
James,

As you didn't actually specifically identify to which photo you are making reference, I assumef that it might have been the panels photo I shared displaying "Closed Corner Frames"... You might not be familiar with these, but they are hand made by only a handful of firms that still produce these 14-18kt gold and silver frames, hence the variation in size... they cost about £10-40 each... for each sample - NOT a frame.

If you examine the pictures of the other normal range of moulding samples you will note that they indeed are all "Chevron cut" to the same size. :clap:

Now... I do see that the corner samples shared by tebbles do vary in length and mitred angle also! :Slap:

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I do hope it was not taken as a perjorative statement, and it certainly was not directed at anybody specific. It was merely a statement of my own preference if it were my own shop.

If I were paying that for samples then I'd be wanting them to be made in such a way that they hang neatly. After all, the more premium a product is the more neatly it has to be displayed.

Of course, I can sit here and type all that as I have no shop, no customers, and no sample chevrons. (Actually, that's not quite true. When I make a new closed-corner frame I sometimes make a sample at the same time so it takes 'no' time and costs 'nothing'. But I see them more as examples ( © Prospero) than samples. Moreover they're never the same size; that will now change.)