New Framing Book Published!

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

New Framing Book Published!

Post by Tudor Rose »

The Fine Art Trade Guild are pleased to announce the publication of a new book "Glossary of Framing Terms" sponsored and supported by Arqadia and Conservation by Design and with a foreword written by Joanna M Kosek ACR ICON, Head of Pictorial Art Conservation at the British Museum.

"Our rich framing terminology draws on industry and science and arts and crafts. The result is sometimes confusing for incoming professionals and clients unfamiliar with the details. As framing evolves, further new terms will be introduced, but this compilation will long remain a basic reference tool."

http://fineart.co.uk/shop/Default.aspx
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: New Framing Book Published!

Post by Rainbow »

I hope they've included the definition of "flumb" :D
Jonathan
Organisation: Letters & Frames
Interests: Planning to add picture farming to my portfolio of creative offerings.
Interested in history - buildings, landscape, transport.
Lettering - Typography, Letter forms, Calligraphy

Post by Jonathan »

Has anyone seen a review of this book? It sounds interesting but will it help me?
Picture Framers and Calligraphers
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://lettersandframes.uk/
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

I am interested but not a fine art member yet, but do subscribe to magazine. its £40 to non members as opposed to £20 which I find interesting as for newbies like myself we probably need it more than experienced framers but being new, less likely to become members just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Rainbow - flumb is not in it, sorry. On the plus side - that means it is flumb free! Which is always the aim for framers anyway :clap:

Jonathan - the only "review" as such that I know of at the moment is the foreword written by Joanna Kosek who was very impressed with the book and happy to write the piece for it. It was also of course supported and sponsored by Arqadia and Conservation by Design, who also saw what was being put together and were happy to be associated with it. I have my own copy and it is on the shelf with my other reference books ready to dip into whenever I need to - I would say it is worth getting a copy but I appreciate I may be seen as a little biased. :D

Ed209 - I hear what you are saying, but as a member owned and run organisation, being able to access the publications and education at member prices is just one of the benefits of being a member. We are happy to make most of it (there are some exceptions) available to non-members, but because they are not paying a membership fee that contributes to the running of the organisation then they pay a higher price than members do for the bits they want to access. That makes it fair to our members.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Jonathan
Organisation: Letters & Frames
Interests: Planning to add picture farming to my portfolio of creative offerings.
Interested in history - buildings, landscape, transport.
Lettering - Typography, Letter forms, Calligraphy

Post by Jonathan »

The first thing I did when a knew I wanted to get started in framing was to join the FATG. As you say Ed209, it's in the early days of starting out that you need to most help. The membership fee feels like a lot of money, but can save you a lot of time and money in the long run. Advice before you buy equipment is much better than finding out afterwards what you should have bought :D .

I really recommend joining.
Picture Framers and Calligraphers
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://lettersandframes.uk/