Wanted: Excalibur 5000

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Buster
Organisation: DIY
Interests: Cycling, golf, art

Wanted: Excalibur 5000

Post by Buster »

Hello, I’m looking for a good working order Excalibur 5000 (48ins) if anyone has one..looking for a new home? Or if anyone has any advice on getting my 4000 to stop swerving when cutting backboard that would be great too...
Buster

Re: Wanted: Excalibur 5000

Post by Buster »

Cash waiting..in case it sounded like I was looking for a freebie!
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Give keencut a call they are very helpful and should be able to sort your 4000
Dave
Buster

Post by Buster »

That would be great..I probably just assumed that the machine would be too old and they would obviously prefer for me to buy a new one. It still cuts glass great, there is just some movement on the down cutter that adds lots of wasted faffing to a simple backboard cut. I will contact them asap.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Does the 4000 have the white nylon bushes, as the Excalibur, then they might need adjusting or replacing, we keep an eye on our all the time, if the cutting head wobbles, then either adjust the bushes by taking the balance weight off, then hold the cutting head in front of you, tighten the grub screws on at a time until the head stay where it is, then loosen by about half a turn, repeat for each grub screw, then reattach balance weight
If they have warn a lot, then you can get replacements from D & J Simons
Bushes Keencut.GIF
Bushes Keencut.GIF (27.76 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

It's probably worth looking at the condition of the cutting wheels, they are easily replaced (available direct from Keencut) and I suspect will make quite a difference.
Buster

Post by Buster »

Thank you that’s incredibly helpful of you both. I will try your advice tomorrow when I am back with machine. I know there is lateral play, but it would be great if I can fix it, it’s a good machine and still cuts glass well.
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Manual for the 4000 is still available if you do not have one -
https://www.keencut.com/resources/info- ... -machines/

Which cutter are you using when you have the swerving problem?
Blunt or chipped wheels on the hardboard cutter will give you a raggy cut but not a swerve. If you are using the knife on the lower head then it could well be the bearing adjustment as Steve N has amply covered. Is the blade protruding too far out from its holder / clamp, if it is this could allow some flexing of the blade and allow it to go off the line of cut.
Buster

Post by Buster »

I have looked at the machine with a better understanding - thank you to you both - and it seems there was a lot of play in the slider bearings (sort of triangular white plastic wedge) that sit vertically and slide down the centre bar. I contacted keencut and although they keep some spares, they have discontinued this item. They’re website actually teases you with this info. :roll:

I have tightened on the right hand side of this slider and the mechanism seems to run truer, but a little tight so may only be a short term fix...
Long shot — but if anyone has any of these bearings knocking around that they no longer require please get in touch.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Have you tried D&J Simons, they carry stock of Keen cut spares, just lose the grub screws until it slides with ease
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Buster

Post by Buster »

I did look through my simons catalogue and they seem to carry same as keencut..so no 4000 slider bearings. I did ask the guy at Keencut if the 5000 sliders would suit, but no.
I will loosen them a little more, but it’s an ever decreasing circle between tightness and play :Slap: