Rotatrimer

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Rotatrimer

Post by Ed209 »

I am after a Rotatrimer or Keencut etc equivalent
I don’t know much about them but I need one that has a capacity of over a meter and very accurate. Any info or availability very much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Rotatrimer

Post by Not your average framer »

What type of Rotatrim are you looking for? Rotatrim produce various models, so it helps to know what you are looking for. There is a model called the Rotatrim T which cuts 2mm MDF, but probably not the best for cutting normal paper thicknesses. I think that Rotatrim are based somewhere near Luton and they do sell kits for reconditioning old rotatrim's to bring them back to as new standard, so don't be put off buy an old one cheaply and doing it up.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Just want it to trim posters, photos etc. Just had two large Japanese posters in today, very fine paper, The uneven edges need trimming parallel to the image boarders.
I don’t find my Keencut straight edge, scalpel and cutting mat combination as accurate as I would like.

Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I have a few spring clamps to hold the steel rule in place and cut with a Stanley. I don't find the Fletcher straight blade that useful. Maybe I'm missing something?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I would just use a straight edge with a new blade in the old Stanley (other makes available) knife, the Rotatrimes I have used in the pass, had the revolving twin wheel cutters, similar to the top cutter on the Keencut Excalibur used for cutting MDF, certainly wouldn't want to use it on fine or old paper, always best to use a new blade in a Stanley knife , forget scalpels , they are just not up to cutting long bits of paper, only use them for very small work
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Another thought, as you already have a Keencut Ultimat Futura 1200 Mountcutter 48", why not use the straight cutter on that to trim posters etc
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

If you are ever in West Yorkshire give me a shout and you can have one free! It’s the 4’ model (I think, it’s at least 4’ long). Probably would benefit from new blades. It’s in my “stuff I’m keeping because I can’t bear to throw it” pile.
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Will have another look at the Keencut for trimming I have tried it before but a bit of a guessing game seeing exactly where the cut is going to be.

Will give the Stanley knife a try as you say more ridged a up to the job.

Thanks for the offer you never know now we have our caravan might be up your way one day.

I did look at a Keencut trimmer that goes on the edge of your bench the other day and that looked quite good they also do a stand alone version.

I find the Keencut straight edge not very precise as the cutting edge is slightly raised and your blade could potentially roll slightly under the edge on a long cut especially as I do believe the edge is rounded off (not with it to check at the moment, in the little office [emoji3])

Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

I trim quite a few prints - the rotatrim single wheel blade over steel edge design, is the cleanest that I've used for a whole range of papers from 36gsm Kozo, to 350 Baryta papers. The technical trimmers have an automatic raising clamp, that allows thicker papers to pass through.

Just trying to make space for one in the new workshop - probably around a 60". Have a couple of vintage 24" trimmers - new blades, and they run sweetly, better than a scalple with a steel rule (and I havemany steel rules, including a big purple one from HP). Currently burning through a lot of 10A's (which are better than any stanly blased, IMHO).