CIA 48" Mountcutter for sale

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

CIA 48" Mountcutter for sale

Post by Trecelyn »

Hi
As above. Unfortunately measuring stop missing.
£70
Collection from Abergavenny, South Wales. Cash on collection. Thanks.

Best
T.
Attachments
CIA2.jpg
CIA3.jpg
CIA4.jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: CIA 48" Mountcutter for sale

Post by Not your average framer »

That looks a lot like the C & H Bainbridge cutters produced by Charles and Herb Carithers. I had one of those When I fist got started cutting mounts. I was not a picture framer in those days, I had a second hand bookshop, which also sold antique and period prints and adverts. It was only later that I bcame a picture framer. I was not properly trained in those day and I was mostly following my instinct at the time, but I managed to survive and pay the bill for a number of years at the time.

The stops were not sold with the mountcutter as standard, but were available as optional extras. My mount cutter never had the optional stops and you had to mark out your cutting lines with a pencil and then cut to the lines. The slight over cuts at the corners were guess at by eye, but after a while you could just eye ball the over cuts at the corners and they weren't too bad. I cut my teeth so to speak on a C & H version of one of those, that's how I earnt my living in those days. I was using Colourmount Optimat mountboard in those days. Not the greatest mountboard,but it was cheap and sold quite well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer