Query about mountcutter

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
iorek
Organisation: A Picture Framing One
Interests: Sport, Art, Photography,

Query about mountcutter

Post by iorek »

Hi folks

Can the futura 1200 (48”) cut a window in a full sheet of mountboard (1200mm x 815mm)

My current mountcutter (an old Keencut can’t cope with the long edge, too small). The drop mechanism gets in the way too, I’m hoping the 1200 has been designed in such a way that it can cut a window in a full sheet.

I’m trying to determine if I need the 1500 (60”)to do this, hopefully not.

Thanks
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Query about mountcutter

Post by Not your average framer »

At the time that the Futura was originally introduced Keen cut were offering a conversion kit to upgrade earlier model to the same standard a the Future, but replacing the long cutting bar, cutting head and stops, so the size of mountboard that any given size of Future mountcutter will be the same as earlier Keencut mountcutters. One of my earlier mountcutter was a 60 inch long C & H mountercutter and there were times when the capability to cut large mounts gave me a useful edge over many local competitors and brought me in some work, which I otherwise would not have been able to do. So, although it does represent a high cost to but the 1500mm version, it is not without it's advantages to have the extra cutting capacity!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
iorek

Post by iorek »

Thanks, you're right it would be beneficial to have the extra capacity, for the odd occasion when such stuff comes in. I'm working with the 40" just now and it has got limitations.

Does anyone have the 1200 (48") size? It seems as though a full mountboard (1200mm) will fit on the base long ways - but it may be too close to edge for the blade stop finger (?? the push down thing) to engage?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, I have the 1200mm / 48 inch ultimat gold. From what I remember, I believe that you are correct in what you are saying' I sometimes cut mounts from normal sized sheets of mountbord cut in half for framing football shirts and I can cut mounts for this using my 1200mm ultimat gold with any problems. I do not like framing football shirts very much and try to avoid doing them. Football shirts seem to be not enough money, too much time spent doing them. Most of my customers for football shirt framing, don't like spending what it costs for framing. Generally, I don't usually cut mounts larger than half a sheet of mountboard.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

iorek wrote: Sat 01 Oct, 2022 2:19 pm Thanks, you're right it would be beneficial to have the extra capacity, for the odd occasion when such stuff comes in. I'm working with the 40" just now and it has got limitations.

Does anyone have the 1200 (48") size? It seems as though a full mountboard (1200mm) will fit on the base long ways - but it may be too close to edge for the blade stop finger (?? the push down thing) to engage?
I have the Keencut Ultimat Gold which is 1200 so I can fit a sheet long ways but as you say you then can't push down the blade stop. In the rare instance that I need all 1200mm I just mark on the back of the mountboard where the aperture starts and then set the stop to 0.
iorek

Post by iorek »

Thanks for that - as long as it can fit on, that is what I'm looking for. And 'manually' engage the blade to begin the cut with a mark point - that's what I'm doing currently with my smaller keencut (I have to remove the cutting assembly bar and do it on a workbench, and the slightest wobble or change in pressure can ruin the cut). Looking forward to an easier life from now on :)