picture hanging systems

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
markfeely

picture hanging systems

Post by markfeely »

ill be opening a small part of my workshop as a gallery space in a couple of months, and have been looking for picture hanging systems. Lion seem to be the cheapest, but even they seem incredibly expensive.

The cheapest (shown below) the 'Smart spring hooks' are around 69p each, i need at least 80.

in the 2nd pic, below again, the aluminium j-rails are 19.22 GBP per 6 metres, the S-hooks 62p each and the perlon suspenders 98p for 2 metres.

Are there any other vendors out there who are less expensive?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Many Thanks
Mark
hook-smart-spring.jpg
hook-smart-spring.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
anchor-s-hook.jpg
anchor-s-hook.jpg (5.93 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Re: picture hanging systems

Post by framejunkie »

markfeely wrote: The cheapest ... the 'Smart spring hooks' are around 69p each, i need at least 80.
I worked in a gallery which used these spring hooks, and my advice is don't buy them - we found that with all but the smallest pictures they had a tendency to slip - only when hanging, not afterwards in a scarily random, stuff-jumping-off-the-wall way :shock: , but irritating nonetheless. Sadly i've little experience of other systems, so cannot recommend another system
markw

Post by markw »

I have the lion system that uses perlon hung on a rail that goes around the top of the gallery walls - I have the blocks with a knurled bolt that screws in against the perlon. It works well for one picture but tends to tip the pictures forward if you two pictures on the same drop of Perlon (2 drops if you want the picture to stay level).

Personally If I was renewing my hanging system I would use the system that has rigid steel rods. I doubt that you would find a cheaper source than Lion - speculate to accumulate.
markfeely

Post by markfeely »

thanks for the input guys. i had no idea these forums were so quick.

i think im going to go with a combination of lion and DIY. some timber moulding acting as a support for the purlons.

tastefully done of course.

cheers.

mark
markw

Post by markw »

Mark - The advantage of the metal top rail is that it gives you the ability to adjust the position of the Perlon drop - important if you are hanging pictures of different sizes.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi

I will have a reasonable quantity of this for sale come September secondhand, but perfectly useable. If you can wait til then, get in touch and I can let you know what I have.

Dave
markfeely

Post by markfeely »

cheers dave.

if im still without any decent hanging stuff, ill reminnd you.

thanks