purchase of new mountcutter

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
greenfields

purchase of new mountcutter

Post by greenfields »

i am setting up a new art gallery and i need a new mountcutter ,i see simons has got a good system for paying for these machines but i dont know which will be best for a new bussiness has anyone else bought a new mountcutter from simons a cmc looks pretty good but it is very expensive i never seen one of these machines working before has anyone got any info on the cmc , thankyou
Mary Case GCF

Re: purchase of new mountcutter

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Hi greenfields,

in all honesty the best thing to do is to go see the machinery in action.

the only way you can really do that is to go to Spring Fair, you'll get to see machinery on the Lion, Ashworth and Thomson, Framers Corner, and Simons Stand plus a few others.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: purchase of new mountcutter

Post by Merlin »

Hi Greenfields
I can only but agree and endorse what Mary has said.

There are many suppliers of CMC's out there and no doubt all will offer a good deal. Simons is just one and yes, I have got my CMC from them.

I notice from your threads that you are a new Gallery. A CMC is a big outlay that could take a very long time to pay for itself. So you need to ask yourself a few questions:

How many mounts will you be cutting per day/week/month.
Will they be the standard rectangle/oval/circle mounts or will you also do 'special cut' mounts.
What work area do you have for the CMC and the corresponding mountboard.
How do you intend the CMC to earn you the money to pay for itself.
Will you be cutting double or triple mounts at all.

Just a few and no doubt other members will add their thoughts in as well.
You really do need to get to a trade show where all the distributors/manufacturers are on display. That way you can then spend a few days 'walking and talking' . Ask to be shown the complete process from choosing the mountboard to designing from new, to using the inbuilt designs to actually ending up with the mount in your hand.

I am very impressed with my system, but it may not be right for you and your needs.
John GCF