Looking for Equipment / Advice

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Nicholas Roberts
Organisation: Whitechapel, London
Interests: Fine Art

Looking for Equipment / Advice

Post by Nicholas Roberts »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum here. I'm looking for equipment to set up a small framing workshop in London - I've got a total budget of around £1500 - £2500.

I've already found a brand new Cassese CS55M foot op for £990, but I'm wondering if I could get a better deal on a second hand Morso. Does anyone have an opinion on Cassese vs. Morso? I figure that measuring on a new Cassese might be more accurate than on a slightly worn out Morso, as well as the advantage of having two sets of fresh blades. But if anyone had a used foot op where the cost of delivery and blade sharpening didn't make it too expensive I'd be interested to here about it.

I'm also looking for an underpinner (I like the look of the Cassese CS88) and an un-extravagant mount-cutter (I can't really afford a complicated wall-mounted system). If anyone has any of this equipment for sale or could give me some advice on the pros and cons of different models I'd really apreciate it.

And is anyone based in London and could give me some advice on where to buy raw materials and consumables? I've got a few good retailers already, but I'd like to get some recommendations on the best place to buy mouldings and mountings, varnishes, stains, glazes etc.

Sorry this post is so long! Hope you can help me.
prospero

Re: Looking for Equipment / Advice

Post by prospero »

Welcome Nicholas. :D

You seen to be thinking along the right lines. New Cassese chopper v. s/h Morso? Never used the Cassese model so can't really comment. Cassese have always had a good name for underpinners. Choppers I don't know. I would probably be inclined to look around for a Morso, purely because most framers use one so spare parts (not that you will need any) are probably more avaiable. Also they tend to hold their value better.

I would advise not cutting corners (no pun intended) on the mountcutter. A computerised one is a bit of an extravagance if you don't cut that many mounts or want to do complex designs on a regular basis. Avoid the basic 'hobby' ones. Get a pro machine. You won't regret it.

For supplies, you are quite handy for D&J Simons You may get a good deal on equipment if you do a bit of haggling. :wink:

Also contact Lion Picture Framing Supplies for a catalogue. They have everything you will ever need in terms of sundries.

Also there is Rose&Hollis on 020 7272 5551 (they don't have a website). A very good firm to deal with if you want plain wood mouldings. (And ready chopped aluminium frames).
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Hi Nicholas, and welcome to the Forum.

Prospero has already pointed you in the direction of Lion. It's worth noting that Lion also do "startup deals" on equipment, and I think they also bundle in useful odds 'n' sods for the workshop (point guns, sundries and the like). Well worth a chat with them to see how they might be able to help you. Lion also do a fairly good range of mouldings, and they sell by the length, as well as in wraps. Untill you ascertain which mouldings sell well for you, purchasing by the length may save you looking at a lot of "dogs" on your moulding rack for the next few years. (How do I know this? :oops: )

Prospero has also advised you well about the mountcutter. When I started up, I bought a new chopper, underpinner and sheet cutter, and a second-hand mountcutter (Ultimat Gold). I was open less than 4 months when I purchased a new mountcutter (also an Ultimat Gold, but this one worked properly). A professional level mountcutter will make it quicker and easier for you to master the craft of mountcutting, and it will pay for itself in jig time through savings on labour and materials.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
gesso
Organisation: The Gilders Studio
Interests: see above

Post by gesso »

What type of framing are you thinking of doing?

Ive dealt with rose and hollis now for well over 15 years great for plain woods, mount boards, sundries. will sell you just one length stick or sheet (don't tell Adrian I told you that) it in a taxi if your in a hurry

Stains; if your hand finishing then you'll need both spirit and water based these you can get from numerous placed (do a google)

Never really got on with Simonds but each to his own.

Ashworth and thompson also arquadia do a chop service you can also get a good ali service from R&H or Arq As P has already said

wessex pictures for bits and bobs conservation by design (now owned by Arq for top of the range archival materials there is a great guy in south london that make other archival boards that may be of benefit to you if you need his details let me know.

And finally Norfolk mouldings for your bespoke milling requirements

Stuart stevensons for Glazes, gilding, and a monthly visit to cornelissens off the Tottenham Ct rd
http://www.cornelissen.com/

As prospero has said R&H don't have a web site but all the above do

ps Take some sandwiches with you when you go to Cornelissens you'll spend hours there. Last time I was there Angus Deaton was doing a bit to camera in the shop. There was a funny smell that day but I put it down to my fish paste butties
Mark Fisher
www.thegildersstudio.co.uk (Now Closed)
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
framingengineer
Organisation: Leicestershire
Interests: Flight simulation, recording, staying as far away from framers as possible........... sorry farmers.

Post by framingengineer »

I may be able to help you out in your search for a Morso.
Be careful when buying secondhand gear...........particularly auction sites as they can end up costing you in repairs.
It might be worth pointing out that although good secondhand foot operated pinners are a little like rocking horse p-- you can pick up good pneumatic machines quite cheaply.
Give me a call if you would like any further advice.
Good luck
Neil Stout
neil@framingengineer.com
The Tabmaster

Post by The Tabmaster »

We have loads of second hand gear on our site, i've got 4 Morso's on there at the moment, 1 from a customer and the other 3 from us. The ones from us have been fully restored and in working order with Warranty's. After we bought Mitrecraft we found that they had a great business in second hand equipment and I have just started advertiseing on behalf of our customers which seems to have been a success so far, so keep your eye out if theres anything else you need. Like Neil mentioned smaller second hand underpinners are hard to come-by at the moment, and there are people crying out for them. When they come in they generally are out the door the next day.

Let me know if you need any further help

Link to the second had equipment http://www.tabmaster.co.uk/list_subcat.php?cat=35 if you want to have a gander.

Tim
Tabmaster UK are a supplier to framing industry worldwide. We offer a wide range of framing supplies and machinery. Including the inovative "Quickmate" Canvas stretching tool. See us at www.tabmaster.co.uk