Wanted ornate Picture Frame for image 16"x24

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Uigbay
Organisation: Glasgow (part-time & novice)
Interests: Computing, Keep fit, Church History, Theology, Cooking, Commencing framing as a hobby.

Wanted ornate Picture Frame for image 16"x24

Post by Uigbay »

I am struggling to find a suitable second hand ornate picture frame for a painting size - 16"x24". It is for a traditional Scottish landscape picture so I feel that a modern frame would be out of place. Does anyone know where I might be able to source one. Many thanks, John
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Wanted ornate Picture Frame for image 16"x24

Post by JFeig »

...find a suitable second hand ornate picture frame for a painting size - 16"x24"
That can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. You did not say, but I am assuming that you are an end user. I would suggest that you find a local framer and see what they can do for you, at a price that you can afford.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Uigbay
Interests: Computing, Keep fit, Church History, Theology, Cooking, Commencing framing as a hobby.

Post by Uigbay »

Thanks Jerome. Price is not the problem. The reason why I mentioned second-hand is that modern (new) frames do not compliment the painting and I would gladly buy new if available. Also 16"x24" does not appear to be a common standard size. I am sure that I will stumble across one at one time or another.
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Post by huntvambo »

Any size frame can be made by a bespoke framer and you have in excess of 6000, 7000, 8000 different frame mouldings to choose from modern to "old" to hand finished. Take the picture into a frame shop and ask!
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Like the UK - framers here in the US and other countries have the resources to make themselves or have their suppliers make antique reproduction frames in any number of styles and degrees of "age" distressing.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Hi,
I would suggest two well known trade suppliers first, but I am pretty sure they only deal with the trade. So may well put you in contact with a framer close to you, who they deal with:

Frinton Gallery supply bespoke traditional ornate swept frames (and endless repro antique styles) to the trade.

Ashworth and Thompson also have a range a handmade, made to measure repro frames.

after that there are numerous small to large framers who can make an repro antique frame for you...

or you could wait a lifetime for a 16" x 24" to come up on ebay or at one of the dedicated antique frame sales at Bonhams, Sotheby's or Christie's
Uigbay

Post by Uigbay »

Hi,
I really appreciate your passing on of your knowledge in this matter and will be in touch with Frinton Gallery or A&T to get a suitable frame. Many thanks. Uigbay.