WANTED - Pneumatic Morso

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
shepherdn
Organisation: Winterslow
Interests: Framing, Cooking

WANTED - Pneumatic Morso

Post by shepherdn »

Anyone who knows or hears of one for sale can you let me know.

Thanks
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Re: WANTED - Pneumatic Morso

Post by JamesC »

I have a possibly spare hydraulic morso EH - three phase electric.

My framer saw it work at the place I got it from but not had it up and running here yet from the phase convertor I just bought (got an electrician coming next week to see which bit is not functioning - I had to change the plug from 5 pin to 4 pin myself and think it may be a faulty plug I, or convertor).

My unit has had three phase in the past but not currently installed so didn't want to get it just for this until I can see what it is like in operation compared to my Morso F.

The Morso is two years old and the only thing wrong is the perspex on the safety guard is cracked quite badly - easily replaceable though and some people don't even use one.

Subject to having it up and running and not falling in love with it I would be open to sensible offers.

The reason I may want to keep it myself is IF the extra firm clamping means the cut is superior to the F (and the fact it cuts bigger moulding). I only really need one machine though and I think the F is more bombproof and reliable if you've only got one. It would save our knees and less faffing about with the handle though as it does 3 cuts in one operation. Our oldest framer is under 50 though so we can maybe wait a few years before our knees go.

So if you wanted to PM or e-mail me with an offer then next week I should be able to make a decision.
shepherdn
Organisation: Winterslow
Interests: Framing, Cooking

Post by shepherdn »

Thank you for your reply - I have just looked up this model and had no idea they were so expensive - I think it is way out of my league - I would only want to spend £750 - might have to look at getting a mitre saw as my Morso F (which I love) is killing my back! Hope I haven't waisted your time.....
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Post by johnwphotography »

Would a hand levered unit be worth considering? Morso and Orteguil do them, they are ok for small mouldings. I have an Orteguil available if anyone is interested.
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

no waste of time that's fine!

Someone else may make me an offer or I may just keep the thing. I got very lucky to pick it up cheap and could make a profit on it and reinvest.

They are expensive - over twice as much as a pneumatic new. I reckon not many are made and they are so heavy and so many wires and electronics in these. Great for an old framer looking to make the job easier though. I'm told they are not really much quicker if at all than an F - maybe that's why the next one up is a turbo model.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

shepherdn wrote:Anyone who knows or hears of one for sale can you let me know.

Thanks
i dont know if this is any help, but the pneumatic mosros are awful to use. everyone i know who has had the air-kit has sent it back. I tried one, they are really grim, horrible to use, scary in fact. you are far better off with the electro-hydraulic model, morso EH. (hydraulic operation, electric powered pump)

I had a member of staff with a bad ankle, and so we looked well into this, in fact there were grants available, and we had one arranged (then I fired him so we kept the morso F) but these grants are still around which you may still be able to get to finance the electro-hydraulic machine. the grants are not well advertised, but apply equally to self employed, so you have to ask about, but might be worth a look into it, it might be the way forward for you.
philipsheldon
Organisation: Ashworth & Thompson Ltd
Interests: JUDO / NFFC / CRICKET / REAL ALE ...oh, and Life in general.

Post by philipsheldon »

Good morning Nicola,

I have a Morso H available, 2nd hand. Please call me if you want to know more !
0115 964 7507

Phil Sheldon
There's nothing I can do if it don't get through, blame it on the Pony Express !
There's nothing I can say if it's gone a stray, blame it on the Pony Express !
philipsheldon

Post by philipsheldon »

:D Sorry !

Forgot to add, that machine is in super condition. Easy to use, easy to transport & comes with a guarantee from us !! It's about 5 years old - just about old enough to start " Junior framing school ! " :D
There's nothing I can do if it don't get through, blame it on the Pony Express !
framingengineer
Organisation: Leicestershire
Interests: Flight simulation, recording, staying as far away from framers as possible........... sorry farmers.

Post by framingengineer »

Just so you know
The Morso EH Hydraulic Guillotine will do all the things an F does and more without any Back or Knee Pain,
Simple to operate and wonderful through the hardest Oak or ash moulding.
The Morso H Pneumatic Guillotine is a totally different beast. A glorified F with no subtlety at all. I would not usually recommend them. They have a habit of throwing moulding at you.
As an alternative why not try a single blade multiangle saw like the Cassese FC300/350 or the Omga these are great cutters and totally safe and idiot proof...........plus bigger cuts.
Cheers
PS I have an FC350 for sale at the moment...........!!
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Hi Sherperdn,

I think the Cassese or Omga single blade mitre saw that Neil suggested above is well worth considering. I use the Omga and when used with a good saw blade, find it a very accurate and capable saw. I mainly use it on barewood mouldings or anything with an undercut at the back which chips easily on the Morso, I have noticed it is not suitable for some pre finished mouldings, but I think you would be able to live with that and stick to mouldings without delicate finishes. You could deal with wider mouldings, and hard woods like oak, and ash with ease, which is a great benefit.
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

In defence of the pneumatic, I used one for 25 years, they are very reliable and provide powered cutting at a reasonable cost compared to the EH. You need a meaty compressor and strong fingers (still got all of them).
philipsheldon

Post by philipsheldon »

:D

Afternoon :D

I'm sure that whatever "ShepherdN" ultimately decides on, it will be decided on through research, testing, price & trust - all of which can be found on this great Forum.

A very comprehensive array of answers have been illustrated here & I am sure that the postings will be of use for many other Framers in the times to come.

:D
Phil.