morso problem (for sale)

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
davecrocker
Organisation: canvas printing
Interests: canvas, mugs, promo goods

morso problem (for sale)

Post by davecrocker »

Hi all,

My first post here and i wasnt sure which section to put it in so i put here because i need help, but also i need to sell something! I hope its ok here...

I have a Morso 8900 thats been given to me as payment for a debt. All that debt has been sorted but Ive now found out that it's supposed to have a measure arm on it! The guy who gave me the machine never told me that this part was missing though.

So my question is this. Should i buy the part to make the machine complete again or am i better off selling it "as is"? Ive sourced the part from Lion Pic but they want £300+vat, this is out of my price range totally.

Can I put this into the sales part of the forum with the part missing?

Kind regards
Dave
Graysalchemy

Re: morso problem (for sale)

Post by Graysalchemy »

You will probably find the part is that price from whoever. However it is probably not much use to a framer without the measuring arm, so i think you will have to price accordingly or put it on fleabay.
davecrocker

Post by davecrocker »

Hi and thanks for the reply.

What guide price would you suggest please?

cheers
Dave
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi Dave.

If it's got a decent set of blades in it and it's in reasonable condition, about £400. 300 might be more realistic. Depends how quick you want to get shot of it. Someone who is looking for a good bargain could concoct a DIY measuring system for it if they were handy.

(btw. Scrap metal prices are on a high at the moment if it happens to be completely knackered beyond repair. :wink: )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
davecrocker

Post by davecrocker »

Hi,

The machine is fine and the blades were sharpened last year. Ive used it lightly for my canvas work when i had to make custom frames but yeah, its in fine working order. I'd take £400 no problem. I was owed £900 anyway so to recoup £400 would be good.

Perhaps I should put this into the sales section now but if anyone else wants to add some info/advice then im all ears.

thanks again
Dave
prospero

Post by prospero »

Could be a good buy for someone starting up. As for the measuring scale, if a strip of wood was fixed to the bed where the original was and a long ruler fixed to that (Lion do wooden 1m rules - 10.55+vat), then it should be simple enough to make a little sliding clamp as a stop. You don't need the vernier scale to work out the allowance for the moulding width. Just measure the moulding and add x2.
Not as elegant as the original system perhaps, but not 360 quid either. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This thread has been relocated from the help section to the adverts/sales/wants section.

I wish you seccess with selling this item. The cost of a complete measurement system is likely to cost a lot, but it may be worth looking at the Frame Co EZY measuring table in the Lion Catalogue as a possible cheaper option.

It would of course need a bit of thinking about how to support this and fit it to the Morso. Not neccessarily an easy job to do, but perhaps still a viable possibility.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
davecrocker

Post by davecrocker »

Hi,

Yes i was about to ask that it be moved or the original thread deleted.

So, the machine is up for £400 if anyone's interested. I will happily pallet it as well for £50 (standard pallet price), to anywhere in mainland UK.

I will take some picture of it as well and post the links here shortly.

Many thanks
Dave
07737 269174
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

There is a guy selling self adhesive Morso angle scales on ebay. The scale with the EZY system is the wrong way round but obviously could be used with a different scale.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

sim.on wrote:The scale with the EZY system is the wrong way round
That's correct! The EZY scale and stop are both unsuitable for the Morso and new ones would need to be improvised.

Axminster power tools sell stick on plastic scales, but the stop would probably need to be fabricated. Sorry, but this might put off some potential Morso customers, or alternatively may sigificantly affect how much a buyer would be willing to pay.

Considering that a really new looking Morso can sometimes go for as much as £900, it may still be worth getting a new Morso measuring system, but only if the Morso is really new looking and subject to the cost of the measuring system.

I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced about the price of £400, if this is to be without the measurement system. You can often pick-up a Morso which is complete for £400 to £500. So I guess you can figure the rest out for yourself.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
davecrocker

Post by davecrocker »

thanks for the info.

Seems im in a pickle and the only way to sell is to buy this measure tool to make it complete. I asked FramersEquipment if they wanted to take it but there doesnt seem to be any interest. Do these machines come up for sale quite often? Ive seen a few on ebay but of course they have the measure tool and some have gone for upto £800 and others around £500-600. I guess its all on the day really.

would £350 be better? I know its a top piece of kit but if im in this for less than £350 i may as well keep it and refurbish it myself. It could do with a new coat of paint i admit. Either that or ill stick it on ebay with a very full description of the problem and hope that someone is starting out and looking for a bargain. Im not out to hoodwink any possible buyer, its a lot of money in anyones book so i wouldnt want it being returned to me.

I'll leave this thread a week to see if anyones interested but i would like to thank everyone for the information supplied.

cheers
Dave
Not your average framer

You might only get £200 for it, as it is. I know that won't be what you wanted to hear, but that's based on someone getting the measurement system for about £300 and therefore getting the complete Morso together for £500. Sorry if that's not welcome news.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Post by johnwphotography »

All is not lost, I was in the same position last year, with a Morso F with enough missing from the right hand side to exceed what I had paid for it. The right hand table from Framers Corner for their VMM machine will mate to your Morso perfectly and will cost around £114 plus carriage for the arm complete with measuring system. I have just found the invoice, that price includes VAT, you require parts : 18023009/10/11/12/13/14/24/25/26

It needs installing carefully, the two pins mate perfectly onto the Morso. I had to use a metric nut and bolt to attach it as the thread on the Morso body turned out to be stripped but this was not much of a problem.

Incidently, DK8900 is Morso's Danish postcode not the model no. I assume it is an F.

Hope this is of use to you.
Not your average framer

johnwphotography wrote:The right hand table from Framers Corner for their VMM machine will mate to your Morso perfectly and will cost around £114 plus carriage for the arm complete with measuring system
That sounds interesting! Any chance of posting a photo, so we can so what this arm and measurement system looks like?
Thanks
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
davecrocker

Post by davecrocker »

johnwphotography wrote:All is not lost, I was in the same position last year, with a Morso F with enough missing from the right hand side to exceed what I had paid for it. The right hand table from Framers Corner for their VMM machine will mate to your Morso perfectly and will cost around £114 plus carriage for the arm complete with measuring system. I have just found the invoice, that price includes VAT, you require parts : 18023009/10/11/12/13/14/24/25/26

It needs installing carefully, the two pins mate perfectly onto the Morso. I had to use a metric nut and bolt to attach it as the thread on the Morso body turned out to be stripped but this was not much of a problem.

Incidently, DK8900 is Morso's Danish postcode not the model no. I assume it is an F.

Hope this is of use to you.
Thats fantastic news, thank you.

Ive called Framers Corner but the person to speak with is away but hopefully this is what Im after. I couldnt find the part from the number you've supplied though.

The thread on my machine is fine for attaching the arm to the main unit and the screw buts/bolts are still in place on the arm as well. Im just crossing my fingers that your suggestion is the answer.

Thanks again
Dave.
johnwphotography

Glad to be of help, the measuring system has a gold anodised finish, you will see it in the photos of the VMM on Framers Corners website. They also sell rebate clamps at about a third of the of the original spares which are fully compatible.
johnwphotography

Dave, I just reread your response. Is the right hand arm {table} on your machine, and it is just the vernier system you are short of? If so just buy all the parts on the list except 18023 009, about £50. If you look at the pdf instructions for the VMM on the website it has several parts diagrams and a parts list. If your Morso is only minus a few parts it may be possible to identify the names of the components from the VMM list, the nomenclature of stop rods and sliding scale parts etc. are the same but not interchangeable with Morso parts. We really do need to see a picture of your Morso to clarify this.
davecrocker

Post by davecrocker »

Hi guys,

Yes i think i need to clarify that its the measure tool itself thats missing, not the entire arm. Ive attached some pics for you. I hope it helps. I should add that the machine has been cleaned up since these pics were taken.

cheers all
Dave
Attachments
28062011146.jpg
28062011146.jpg (670.48 KiB) Viewed 10612 times
28062011147.jpg
28062011147.jpg (630.9 KiB) Viewed 10612 times
Not your average framer

Hi Dave,

I think in view of the latest information, you can revise the value of your machine accordingly. The important question now is whether the measuring system for the VMM can be fitted to the existing Morso fixing holes.

If it will not fit to the existing holes, you can still get the VMM support arm and measuring system and discard the morso support arm.

If you don't want the hassle, there's always the possibilty that someone on the forum may be willing to offer an acceptable price for it and save you all the messing about.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Since you have the right hand arm, but just dont have the scale - you could buy one of the 'stick -on' measuring scales(ebay) for the right hand arm, then all you would need to concoct would be a moveable end stop.

Otherwise, you might be able to find someone on the forum who has some or all of those parts you need. I, for instance have a spare first section of the 'ruler' - the bit that goes up to 50cm.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/