Ashworth & Thomson Moulding wanted

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Ashworth & Thomson Moulding wanted

Post by Merlin »

Can anybody help please.

I am looking for an A & T moulding 856.BKX enough for a 250 x 300 frame.

One of the annoying things is that you have chevrons galore, yet suppliers never tell you when the moulding is discontinued. Until you try to order it!!!!!! :twisted:
John GCF
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Sorry I can't help you with this moulding john.

However, in fairness to A+T they have indicated which of their mouldings have been discontinued in their latest price update to EstLite.
markw

Post by markw »

John
Desperate measures - have you thought about painting 856.GBK (assuming that one is stocked - haven't checked).
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John,

Rather a long shot here, but have you tried asking their ex-rep James Bullen. I think he covered your area as well as ours and he might be able to point you in the direction of someone who has bought some. I have his contact details at work if you need them. BTW, it was nice to have met you the other day.
Mark
Underpinner
Organisation: No business
Interests: Music, painting, reading

Ashworth & Thompson Moulding wanted

Post by Underpinner »

In fairness I think I had better leap to the defence of Ashworths here: They send me lists of discontinued mouldings - so why not you John (Merlin Framers)? I should have a friendly word if I were you.
John Williams
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Three John's and 2 Mark's all in one thread !!!!

Underpinner, yes a good question and one I will be asking them tomorrow.

Even though I started the thread, I will say here that A & T are the best moulding company that I have dealt with during my short 9 years in the business.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Right - I've heard so much good about A&T that I'm gonna email them and get a rep sent round!!
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Ashworth and Thompson are fantastic, we have a depot here in Edinburgh, about 11 minutes away.

Customer service has always been top notch, never had a problem with them in 16 years! If there was any errors they were always set right promptly

They used to have a van that went round the area, but now the items are shipped 30 miles to the parcel depot, (passing our door) then shipped back to us the next day.

Ludicrous
markw

Post by markw »

A&T send me lists of os mouldings as well - they are also working on getting the web based link to Estlite together so that the software tells you when theirs a problem with os or discontinued stock.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Emailed A&T Sunday - had a nice phone call Monday, catalogues on my mat Tuesday, I followed up today.

On Monday I was asked what, if anything, I was looking for in particular; I said 'anything exclusive and different plus high end 'closed corner' type stuff.

Well, haven't really looked at the main catalogue yet, as they sent me their 'Chelsea' range catalogue and price list too.

This is exactly what I was looking for some time ago - water gilded closed corner (finished after joining) stuff, ornate/traditional and modern/contemoprary.

It is sold by the CENTIMETRE!!! Oh boy!

The dearest is £1.51 per cm - so £151 per metre - so a frame with a glass size of 50 x 40 cm (just under 20 x 16") would retail for almost £640!

That's expensive - BUT - I've just sold a Frinton Gallery frame just over twice that size for about £480 with no gold in at all - not even foil - it's all paints , creams and waxes.

So now we are trying to sort out a corner sample set - the deal for that is very generous too.

Back on topic though - if the profile of that disc moulding is the same as 856 GBK - as mentioned above - you may find it in the Simons catalogue.
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

John, try and spot the biscuit in the catalogue, theres one every year! ( cunningly disguised as a moulding usually!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Got it!

Bet it cuts better than some mouldings from some suppliers too.

Note that Lion are including a tube of smarties with all orders (while stocks last) again too!
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Roboframer wrote:Note that Lion are including a tube of smarties with all orders (while stocks last) again too!
thats persuasion enough for me to get the order in after Easter!

Hyperactivity, here we come!