Networking

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Networking

Post by Not your average framer » Thu 07 Jan, 2021 4:17 pm

Sometimes good things just happen, without anyone needing to do anything. I've been getting my shop fitted out and prepared for the day that it can be open to the public. A nearby friend who carries out building maintenance and carpentry has been doing various bits for me and a local lady painter and decorator have been getting my shop nicely sorted out and besides them getting my shop sorted, the three of us have become really good friends. Neither of them have much definite work going on in to the new year, so we are starting to collaborate producing various items to market and sell.

It's early days yet, but early indications are looking surprisingly good and it's mostly things that have come from nowhere. I have a large amount of recycled materials, mostly left behind by a previous tentant in my premises from before I took on the premises, which is providing much of the raw materials that we need, so no actually start up costs at this stage. All this wood won't last forever, but we are probably looking good for the next six months, or more.

It makes me wonder why I never thought of it before, but I did not. I've got two shop windows to display some of these items for sale, the lady already sells similar items on eBay, I am also looking at setting up as an Etsy seller and I have a local interior design shop owner willing to take certain items from us as well. It has quite literally fallen into place, without any effort whatsoever. My town is a small rural Devon town and it's not a particularly busy place, but it's surprising how many people within the town are starting new businesses and willing to give things a go.

Maybe networking with others around some of us, is going to help filling some of the slack, caused by things slowing down a bit during this current situation for other forum members as well. Are there any un-fulfilled opportunities that are almost knocking on your door without you realising it? Well ,that's what has been happening for me. I had no idea that this was a possibility, only a few weeks ago, but it's starting to happen!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer