Cost of waste glass disposal.

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Cost of waste glass disposal.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm going to need to get my waste glass disposal collections re-instated soon to coincide with reopening my business. But my original waste collection company has been taken over by another company which requires waste glass to be collected separately and this means paying to have a separate bin emptied. It's quite a big hike in collection charges! Just the glass alone is going to cost me the bin rental, plus £5 every time it is collected. On top of this I will also get charged for my normal 660 litre dumpster of commercial waste as well. The total per month is going to cost me about £60 per month, this sounds a bit expensive to me!

What are the normal charges that are usually expected, these days?

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Re: Cost of waste glass disposal.

Post by Abacus »

I pay £3.50 plus vat for a glass bin lift (edited, my glass bin is a 360L)

I also pay £12.10 plus vat for a general waste bin lift (edited, my general waste bin is 660L))

I also pay £5 plus vat for a cardboard & paper bin lift (1100L)

All fortnightly, so around £41 a month.

(No bin rental charges)
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Mark -
I use Wessex. Annual charge of about £35.00 and then £2.50 per collected box. They supply the boxes.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Wessex here, they'll give you a separate bin for mirror too. My council does my commercial waste collection.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think that I've got plenty to think about right now and a few more possibilities to talk to the company I've already been talking to about. I am thinking about down sizing my current bin to see how much money that this might save. The is not any bin rental if I have a regular fortnightly collection on a contract, so I also need to look and see if there is any potential saving from doing this.

Thanks very much for all your replies,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mikey the 2nd
Organisation: New business
Interests: Work and work

Post by Mikey the 2nd »

Abacus wrote: Tue 29 Jun, 2021 7:11 pm I pay £3.50 plus vat for a glass bin lift (edited, my glass bin is a 360L)

I also pay £12.10 plus vat for a general waste bin lift (edited, my general waste bin is 660L))

I also pay £5 plus vat for a cardboard & paper bin lift (1100L)

All fortnightly, so around £41 a month.

(No bin rental charges)
Could I ask who you use please?
Thanks
Mike
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I made a glass crusher to reduce the volume of scrap glass with an old 20 gallon metal barrel. I had the barrel next to my wall glass cutter with out the top on. I also had the metal cover that I cut a hole cut out to fit a 12 lb, sledge hammer. When I needed to crush some glass, I placed the cover and hammer over the can and let the hammer fall onto the glass. The result, compact small pieces of glass.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Mikey the 2nd wrote: Wed 30 Jun, 2021 8:30 am Could I ask who you use please?
Thanks
Mike
Halifax Metals for the general and glass

https://www.halifaxmetals.com/

Sonoco for the cardboard

https://sonocorecycling.co.uk/uk-collec ... anagement/
Mikey the 2nd
Organisation: New business
Interests: Work and work

Post by Mikey the 2nd »

Thank you :-)
Alberto S
Organisation: lanscaping
Interests: Fishing, Gardening, Agriculture

Post by Alberto S »

Most of the companies try to take back the glass as they can for recycling. This is because including the previously melted glass into the furnace along with the new glass-making process can cut down energy utilization by up to 25%. Because of this fact, companies tend to add much cullet as they can, depends on its availability. I've visited a few bottling plants, with one of my friends as a part of the research process. He is working with a disposal service team and they are researching to find the most cost-effective way of glass disposal which can be afforded by common people. Normally cullet availability is more in Europe than in the US, mainly the Northeast part of the US in terms of availability. As part of that research, I understood that, don't put the glass in landfills because it won't decompose. It will just take up that space for 1000s of years without decomposing.