BACK UP YOUR DATA !!!!!

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

BACK UP YOUR DATA !!!!!

Post by Bagpuss »

I had a very close shave last night...... :sweating:
I had a self inflicted data problem on my Pricing Software (EstLite), when I went to bed I couldn't see a way back, I do backup regularly but not daily. Luckily I had a copy of it on another PC I had used last week and this morning I was just faced with an hour worth of punching in jobs again .... phew ...

I am now going to take a copy of the database every night and keep it safe, rather than over writing it every night.

BACKING UP DATA IS SO IMPORTANT .... it took me back to my previous life in the City, flying a back office database at a Money Brokers... on one occassion, a mess up on the overnight backup process meant it looked as if we had lost ALL our source code for the London Back Office database ( Developed in house over 12 years ). We managed to recover from it but it aged me a few years over night.

This was a wake up call for me last night, you might want to think how you back up your data at the moment ... :clap:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: BACK UP YOUR DATA !!!!!

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Good tip, I bet a lot of us don't back up enough. I use the Wessex pricing program which backs up every time I close it down. I'm sure Estlite does the same, only problem is ive set it to back up on to the same hard disk :Slap: I might see if I can back up to my Dropbox account instead, I haven't tried that yet.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

As a matter of interest, where do you folks backup your data? I once got an external HD for this very purpose which was very handy until the thing failed. :( Not an uncommon occurrence from what I gather. Fortunately no real harm done, but it does rather defeat the object if you can't rely 99.9999% on your backing-up repository. I've had frequent manky CDs/DVD's also. :evil:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

My pc is set up on raid 10, 4 x 1 tb drives, striped then mirrored if one fails everything still runs and that drive is just replaced , then all important stuff is shared via sky drive on 5 different pcs, yes I have had hdd's fail and do not wish to loose data ever again.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Well, I back up data to dropbox, fantastic ( about £6.50 / month for 100Gb "cloud" storage ).
The problem I had was that in the version of EstLite I had been using, the backup was a file Estbackup.zip, although I was backing up to a dropbox folder I see in "My Computer", it was getting over written every night. :(

I now have sub-folders , Mon-EOD, Tues-EOD etc. (EOD - End Of Day ) which I backup to. However, I notice that v8.23 of EstLite now has a date stamp on it so no chance of over writing it every night, eg. tonights file was EstBackup20_3_13.zip :clap:

If anyone fancies trying http://www.dropbox.com as a result of reading this posting, please name check me ( adam@adamthepictureframer.co.uk ) and the'll give me an extra 1Gb storage. :D

ACT NOW, CHECK YOUR BACKUP STRATEGY ! here endeth the lesson ....
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I use Idrive to backup my main laptop to the cloud daily.

I use sqlbackilandftp to do incremental backups of my database to my Dropbox every hour.
jon buck
Organisation: Forge Framing Studio
Interests: golf music reading drinking wine and eating fresh food

Post by jon buck »

I think I must learn a little more about computers I have not a clue what you are talking about. I do understand backup but its all the terminology that confuses the hell out of me :xcomputer:
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

"Dropbox" is a file sharing product (the basic version is free) allowing you to synchronise files between computers, it does everthing automatically and is great. If one of your computers fails or is nicked the data still exists on your other machines.

"Idrive" is a backup product (again the basic version is free) which backs up selected drives or files from your computer into "the cloud"*, at intervals set by yourself (say daily). If your computer fails or is nicked then you can copy your data back from "the cloud"

"Salbackupandftp" is a free automated product for backing up sql databases to anywhere you choose, Dropbox or a file to be saved by Idrive say.

*the cloud is a poncy term which just means "on several servers somewhere on the Internet which are themselves backed up and maintained with (hopefully) multiple redundancy built in" you could just think of it as "Internet available remote storage"

Hth
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Back up data.

Have TWO files under DIFFERENT names on your computer.

EMAIL it to yourself and download it onto a DIFFERENT computer.

Save it onto an EXTERNAL drive.

And then, you can never go wrong!