My Website - switching to Wordpress a good idea ?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

My Website - switching to Wordpress a good idea ?

Post by Bagpuss »

For the last 6 months the guy who "looks after " my website has wanted me to switch from Joomla to Wordpress, as I'm responsible for all graphics and content, I've been dragging my feet to say the least, very busy making frames, I'm pleased to say : ) I like my website, I want a blog on it and a connection to a business Facebook account possibly but don't want any major changes.

I'm quite happy with my website's ranking in Google but I'm worried that I'd lose my good ranking if I switched to Wordpress ? even a temporary drop down the rankings would cost me :Slap:

Has anyone else switched to Wordpress from a previous environment and had problems ?
Thanks in advance,
Adam The Picture Framer
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Re: My Website - switching to Wordpress a good idea ?

Post by misterdiy »

Hi Adam
I have not switched to Wordpress, but we did switch from one developer to another when we expnaded the online shop and generally tarted up the website. The site looks good, but we lost ranking on Google and have never recovered, despite lots of SEO work from ourselves.

My advice is be very careful changing, because you will lose ranking, but you may recover it and get even higher.... or you may end up like us. :(
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

What is the busines case for switching to wordpress? Or is it more a case of preference of the developer. Also, as far as my knowledge goes Joomla is a better environment for ecommerce if you are considering developing that side of things.

There is now a wordpress component for joomla 2.5 so you can have a blog using wordpress within the Joomla site. You may have to go through some pain of switching to 2.5 or 3.0 if you aer using 1.7 or earlier.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Ryan Montgomery
Organisation: None
Interests: Photography

Post by Ryan Montgomery »

I love wordpress and my main website uses it: www.ryanmontgomery.com
suzidemello
Organisation: newbi
Interests: arts and artists, travelling

Post by suzidemello »

If you move to wordpress from joomla or say from any one framework to another, the urls are surely going to change and thus will effect your seo ranking. but if your programmers can maintain the old urls of your site SEO will not be an issue and your site would work fine.

Though I would suggest you not to switch if you are comfortable with your current site unless your programmer has a stronger reason for it, because there are chances of loosing your ranking in search engines.

I also own a e-commerce site based on artworks and framing, and it works on joomla and I dont have an issue with it. here is the link if you need to have a look.

http://www.paintboxartandframing.com
Custom art and framing artworks by Ed Heck, Jane Waterouse, Micheal Magill at Paint Box Art And Framing