"Hand Painted Oils"

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Ryan Montgomery
Organisation: None
Interests: Photography

"Hand Painted Oils"

Post by Ryan Montgomery »

So, I have been given a bunch of "hand painted oil paintings" to frame up by a guy who owns a shop in my town. He bought the paintings from China on ebay, he even sent me a link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Hand-pain ... 53f224825f

His plan is to sell them on in his shop. I'm aware that these are factory paintings but they are actually quite nice! Am I wrong to think that this has to be kind of dodgy though? I know little about paintings so I don't know if these are copies or if what he's doing is illegal. I doubt it would effect me but I just like to keep myself informed!

Any advice??
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: "Hand Painted Oils"

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I think you could buy these cheaper from International Arts in Watford who import them. They have them piled up to the ceiling at Springfair ( or did last time i went).
Ryan Montgomery

It's not something I do at the moment, the of framed art photo mut no paintings or prints.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

The reproduction stuff is the only thing I might be concerned with but most of them have the right amount of small differences not to break any copyright laws. I'll agree though, some of the work is fantastic
Ryan Montgomery

Well, they were easy to stretch onto the frames with no cracking and the client was happy!

I'd be interested in buying a bunch from anywhere you guys can recommend?
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

These have been around for many years and used to be called "Taiwan Oils" back in the 80's. The we used to buy them by the signature, but they were equally as good as many in some of the large commercial galleries. In fact while out for a walk early one morning last week with Mrs D we commented on a "new" artist in said large chain gallery and commented how much it looked like a "Hubert" from the Taiwan days. Only this artist wanted £850 whereas the Huberts were a tenner at the time :lol:
Ryan Montgomery

International Arts is giving me a buzz in the morning but is there anywhere else to get a hold of these. My current customer that brought them in to me would be more than happy to buy them ready to hang off me and I'm sure I could shift a few!
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Also known as 'Ying Tong's :D
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I had an interior design client who showed me some 'oils' which she had bought of a 'travelling sales person'. The said person had assured the interior designer that she had a studio in Venice where they were produced.

Year Right Little Venice Shenzhen

:giggle: :giggle:
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Sometimes they get sold door to door by "art students" claiming them as their own work.

I have always wanted one to call at our house where upon I would go and get a few tubes of my wife's oil paints and ask them to demonstrate. :D

I have done a few of the Venice ones bought from "local artists" also some from New York.

On the other hand I have also had the ebay shoppers who admit to buying them cheap and a few who have bought them in Hong Kong and brought them back in a suitcase.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

The one of a lady salsa dancing posted on here a month or so ago was a classic with her 3 elbows :giggle: :giggle:

here
prospero

Post by prospero »

They are what they are. Nothing more nothing less. The dodgy bit comes in when people try to represent them as something they are not. They aren't art college students work. They aren't originals. Some are very skilfully painted, but that's not the same. I've got one in the cupboard now that is the worst one I have ever seen. Bilious is the word. It makes your eyes got funny looking at it. Not kidding. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About