Taking card payments using smart phone

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Taking card payments using smart phone

Post by pramsay13 »

I know there are a couple of threads on this issue which I've read, but I'm hoping for an up-to-date review.
Does anyone use any of these services which are pay as you go types.
I have only been asked if I do card payments twice this year, so it's not a big deal, and I certainly won't be going down the route of getting a monthly contract as the figures will not add up.
So does anyone use any of these other options that can give a review of how it is working for them.
The ones I have seen are SumUp, Payleven, and PayPal.
Hannahframer
Organisation: Framed@Hannah's
Interests: Picture framing, photography, playing piano & guitar (not at the same time!), reading, walking

Re: Taking card payments using smart phone

Post by Hannahframer »

I realise this is an old thread but I use iZettle with my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone.Works really well and costs 2.75% of each transaction. The chip & pin reader cost £49 and after a month iZettle repaid the money! You receive your transaction money within a week. So I recommend it to anyone wanting to take card payments with the outlay other providers require. And my customers have no problem using the chip & pin reader; it's just like using the card machine in Morrisons! :D
"Industry without art is brutality." - John Ruskin.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Ive tried iZettle but also had trouble pairing the card reader with the iPad. I haven't tried it with my iPhone. I'm not very keen on iZettle hanging onto the money for 7 days though. I belive the PayPal version which uses your existing PayPal account, is much quicker so I might switch to that at some stage. I don't run a high street framing outlet and I find most customers are still happy enough to use cash or cheque as long as I let them know when they initially visit me.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

I'm using a payleven card machine with a Galaxy S3 on similar terms to the iZettle one. It's just the same as a normal reader but without the contract. We're a gallery as well so we're able to take it to art fairs as its completely mobile.
I would recommend it to anyone, although there is a turning point with larger turnovers where it becomes cheaper to have the contracted ones. You do have to have a good steady signal though if your going to use it through the mobile network, it has been known to cut out mid transaction. We run ours through WiFi in the shop.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

WiFi would work better for me I think, I'll take a look at that.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

We use Barclays EPDQ system.